TCCoA Forums banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,171 Posts

I've been looking into purchasing the BC Racing extreme low kit for the 350z. The shock absorber assembly length is 2" shorter than other available 350z front coilover assemblies. That brings the shock assembly height closer to the stock Thunderbird, so no need for cutting and welding and taking the risks. I guess it would just be applying the already aforementioned steps needed like enlarging the lower clevis mount holes and modifying the upper mount to take the BC coil spring. You can also purchase the necessary individual parts from the BC racing website if you're in the US. They also offer the ER series kit that seems to have better dampening but its like 200$ more per coilover. I know BC is on the upper end of midrange, lower end of high range brands, but for regular everyday use it should suffice.
Those are the rear coilovers. I checked that website you linked and there doesn't appear to be a front BC Coilover in their ER series? At least not on that website.

Right, it's just that there are almost certainly better options, dimensionally speaking. A shorter fork will allow for a taller shock body.
Cut and weld?

·
Registered
1995 Ford Thunderbird LX w/ SC seats, Terminator Cobra rear springs and Koni Shocks
16 Posts

The picture is not accurate obvs.

·
The Parts Guy
7,849 Posts
Cut and weld?
Cut and weld this? Heck no.

If you're able to weld and want a performance front shock offering, copying the mounts that Bill resells with QA1's is a dead-nuts-simple operation.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
That ride height is definitely unsettling! I would like to see how it does with cutting a coil off the spring. That might bring the ride height back to a normal level, but it might make the ride too jarring.
"Unsettling?" Speak for yourself. I see this ride height and besides the fact that these are probably the WORST shocks to go offroad, Im thinking about the Mexican 1000 again.
:)

·
Registered
4,171 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Just another small update (no changes) to let you all know everything is still holding up excellent. (y) I even been playing around on some back roads and the car is very fun to drive. Posts have been few and far between since initial posts as nothing bad has happened nor has anything changed. Next thing is still trying lower springs and the thinner Mark VIII coil over top hats to drop the front end some; that may not be until the end of the year. Have to squeeze it in whilst getting tires, rear vertical links, and new Bilsteins or Konis for the S550.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Update: Still enjoying the hell out of this lowly 2V 4.6 XR7 with this setup (especially adding a subframe brace). Nothing has not blown up etc. Now it is time to improve my setup by getting rid of the ride height up front. I will be using these top hats 1 pair Front Air to Struts Coilovers Conversion Kits for Lincoln Mark VIII 93-98 | eBay (tossing the rest), some type of aftermarket spring isolator that is thinner than the stockers, and Tien Tein SKP26-AUB00 drop springs up front that give approx a 1.8" drop (versus my 1.0" ebay "Lo" branded drop springs). Hopefully these springs combined with a thinner top hat and isolator will give me the height I am looking for up front without having to cut up anything. The off-brand Lo springs actually ride pretty good, shame the drop is only 1". I am sure the Tien springs will be even better. I will keep you updated as I get the parts. I will say it again, an underrated Ford platform in the handling department with a sorted out suspension and not cost cut parts-bin parts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Update: So thanks to the chip shortage driving prices up on S550s I sold Eco for close to market value getting me out of a car payment. Now I have time and even more resources to get this done quicker, I am in the process of sourcing some Tein SKP26-AUB00 1.8" 350Z drop springs now. I am still investigating the Lincoln Mark VIII top hats and poly spring isolators. I am almost curious to see will the drop springs themselves get me the height I am wanting. I will keep you posted as after this project is done I will begin the logistics of gen 2 Coyote/6R80 swap stuff (as that was my original goal with this vehicle).

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I will keep you posted as after this project is done I will begin the logistics of gen 2 Coyote/6R80 swap stuff (as that was my original goal with this vehicle).
You wouldn't be the first do do a Coyote swap on an MN12, but you can look over at @OxmanWI build thread of his Coyote swap. One key piece of information there is that he had to have an oil pan custom made so it could fit within the confines of the K-member.

Reactions: s550andmn12

·
Super Moderator
11,921 Posts
Here's Sport koni's for the Z; These would be awesome; needs a means to adjust ride height, tho.

Reactions: s550andmn12

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
You wouldn't be the first do do a Coyote swap on an MN12, but you can look over at @OxmanWI build thread of his Coyote swap. One key piece of information there is that he had to have an oil pan custom made so it could fit within the confines of the K-member.
I saw his swap, it is very beautiful. If things go well, I'd like to do a complete write-up to make it palatable for anyone to do. The oil pan issue is also affects SN95s, I have some ideas for workarounds but I will cross that puddle when I get there. I plan on running the stock K member (albeit modified) with a Moroso Oil Pan. Power by the Hour has almost all the solutions to anything I would run into including the 4r70w to 6r80 shift linkage. SN95 clusters look like they would fit "close enough" to use their instrument cluster/BIM module kit from PBH. I want this to look as "stock" as possible.

Update: Tien SKP26-AUB00 Springs have came in today, I think I will go ahead and bite the bullet and get the Mark VIII shocks to rob the top hats from to get this project done. It is looking like a lot of the lowering is going to come from getting a better tophat solution which that should provide.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Update: The Maxspeedingrods tophats have arrived and... they are the only thing worth a darn in the kit lol (those shocks just feel cheap to the touch).

-Looks like I will be using the ferrules from the stock MN12 tophats to fill any gap in the Maxspeedingrod tophats.
-Also, found out that Energy Suspension 4.6105R spring isolators from a Focus SVT fit the 350Z springs like a glove while helping a friend out re-doing the suspension on their Focus ZX3. These thinner isolators should be much better for a lower ride height than the stock MN12 units that add significant height alone.

Here are some photos to give a general idea of progress so far:

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
1,089 Posts
As for cutting the lower shaft to reduce the overall height, one could use this stuff. I saw it on a show where they were working on sheet metal, but it absorbed a bunch of the heat. Check out the video. I think this may keep the shock body safe while altering the shaft (cutting then welding).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
So now we need someone to basically copy those top plates. But if that can get the car low enough without cutting and welding, certainly a lot more user friendly.
That's the goal. I hope to get these on Saturday to find out.

Are those bearings universal, ie a part number anywhere? The plates look easy as hell to make, just some T6061 1/4 aluminum plate by the looks of it not much different from the steering shaft mod bearing plate I made

View attachment 46229
They look like standard fare stuff and yes you're most likely correct. These plates could be easily duplicated/fabricated if one spent the time to do so. EDIT: Unfortunately, I did not see any P/Ns or stampings on the unit. This is the closest thing I could find: Universal Alloy Strut Top Mount Un-drilled - Concentric - Motorsport-Tools.com It looks like it's a few holes drilled away to doing the same thing.

The bearings look identical to the cheapy Z coils I have. Same company. So Im guessing they are.

If its low enough put me down for two pairs.

And actually, I want a pair anyway.
Yes, looks like copy-paste stuff. I bought them for $200 with free shipping straight from the Maxspeedingrods website. Ebay marks them up quite a bit. For some reason, the Lincoln Mark VIII crowd seems to eat these things up (as they sell very quickly).

41 - 60 of 62 Posts