TCCoA Forums banner
61 - 62 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
So now we need someone to basically copy those top plates. But if that can get the car low enough without cutting and welding, certainly a lot more user friendly.
If it will fit on a computer scanner I can probably make up a CAD model of one. Scan the plate with something of a known diameter beside it for reference. A quarter would work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Update: Even though I did not knock out both sides (like I originally planned) due to spending most of the time to further R&D on finding the right sleeve solution to fill in any gap in the top hat bearing. After removing the ferrule out of the stock style topat, I quickly found out it was far too long forcing me switch up the solution. I also found out the bottom sleeve on that goes on the bottom end of the tophat is not necessary as it would just slip down the shaft on the Bilstein shock so I omitted it. Instead, I kept the top aluminum sleeve and added a 1/2" compression sleeve (shoutout to the Lowes employee) that made everything nice and snug while removing any play on the top of the shaft.

Pictures below:

(Compression sleeve is not shown in this photo)


Getting everything back together (yes I forgot to put the caliper back to the other side before re-installing the shock lol, I'll use this as an opportunity to replace the brake hose)



The exact sleeve I used to fill in the gap. I will take a picture of how it installs and the finished product once I do the other side. The car is not back on the ground yet but I can already see a difference on how much better the spring sits and how closer everything appears to be. I will post pictures of the new height as soon as I get everything complete. I work tomorrow and I am out of town Monday so it is looking like next Saturday for the final results!
 
61 - 62 of 62 Posts
Top