TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you live in the Chicago land area than you know about all the storms...this means nothing but BAD for me.

I was driving down Rt 14 in the POORING rain. You couldn't tell how deep any of the puddles were and it just so happens that I drove through a 14-18 inch deep puddle that stretched for atleast 100 feet.

My car stalled immediately upon entering this "pool" and my electrical went out as well. I had no other choice but to open my doors to get out...I now have an inch of water on my floor...and the car won't start....

My intake is located under my front bumper

My exhaust was totally submerged

2 days later...it STILL WON"T START!!!

Please tell me it isn't my engine block............................

So as of now i am without any means of transportation...

...Help?!...

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm not sure, but you might have sucked water into your engine, and since water doesn't compress like air, the pistons won't move. Theres a trick that the 4x4 off road guys use when this happens, and that's to pull their spark plugs and crank the engine a few times to force most of the water out the spark plug holes.

You also might have shorted out a part of the electrical system. Does the starter even try to turn the motor over? If not you might have an electrical problem, if it does the engine might have injested water.

To be honest, I'd have it towed to a shop to have them look at it.

Another thing, if there is water in the engine you don't want to keep trying to start it unless the water has somewhere to go, like out the plug holes, so that you don't damage the engine further.

Someone else here might know more than I do, or might have done this before, hopefully they'll post about it.

-Dan

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No...it doesn't turn over even once, but I DO have electrical now...atleast my windows, radio and lights work

I'll try to pull the plugs and see if that help...

What doesn't help...is that it is still raining:mad:

·
Registered
299 Posts
You might have experienced what the import types call "hydro-locking". My cousin did it in his Neon. He ran through a puddle and did some horrible damage to his motor when it sucked in a bunch of water, read: his motor has less miles than his car does.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Same thing happened to me a few years back... 'Birds make terrible submarines. The good news is she's still running at 140k. Thankfully my insurance paid for the dealer to do all the work so I don't have the details of what they did but...

I think they pulled the pan off mine... They told me that if water got in the compression chambers it will seep down into the block. You might want to change the transmission and differential lubes too if it sat in the water very long. Mine was in there overnight and they did that. Could've just been because insurance paid for it but I was glad they did... Chlorine is right, don't be trying to start it until you're reeeeaaaaaal sure there's no water left in there. Even a little bit of water in the crankcase is not good...

The electrical could be just a popped fuse or seven. If you have power seats then that harness could be shorting something if there's still moisture under there.

If you don't know a good carpet cleaner start looking now - it's not going to smell good even after it dries and that powdered stuff won't touch it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I got it started. There was no water in the cylinders although there was water in the oil. The starter was jammed/stuck where it connects to the flywheel. Only now...there is a HORRIBLE "knocking" sound. Could it be my rods knocking. Or maybe a valve that could be stuck and the cam shaft is knocking against it? Hmm...

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
if you have FULL coverage PLEASE call your insurance company NOW! water in oil=BAD! sounds to me like your engine stucked too much water too fast and bent a rod or cracked a piston (knocking noise). Since this is part of the "flood damage" your insurace SHOULD pay for it to be fixed.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Good advice from rancherlee...

·
Registered
299 Posts
A word of warning. Do not tell them that you drove through a big puddle. Let them believe that it happened because of actual flooding into the engine compartment of the car. If they see that your intake runs into your bumper and you tell them that you were driving when it happened, they might refuse the claim, instead blaming you for causing the damage by altering the vehicle.

·
Registered
286 Posts
One thing to remember about water ingestion - even a little liquid in a cylinder can result in so much compression that the rod is slightly bent, even though the engine turns over and runs. That rod will, sooner or later, break, usually when you're turning some revs and making some power, and we all know what the "after" pic of that looks like.

Good advice above: Pulling the plugs and making sure there's no water in the cylinders is step one for any immersion situation.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
well you should be able to tell if the knocking sound is coming from the top or bottom end of the motor just by popping your head under the hood and listening. for the love of god though, change all your lubrication before running the car at all. on top of not compressing, water does not lubricate very well. this includes transmission fluid, TC fluid and rear end fluid... flush it all.

if i was there i could tell you what a failed rod bearing sounds like, i had one go on me a couple months ago. not a good sound at all.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Yep.. hope you didn't hydrolock any of your pistons.. or you'll be looking at a new motor.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The sound seems as if it is coming from somewhere in back of the engine...I can't tell if it is from the top or bottom. And there was no water in the cylinders, but a ton of it in the oil. the oil was the same consistency and color of yoohoo the drink...No Good

1 - 13 of 13 Posts