TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what to call it exactly. My friend just came over and told me of a problem. He has a 97 bird and when we test drove it between 30-40 the car would do small heaves for a few seconds at a time. I looked at the tach and it didnt seem to be shifting at the same time. I heard of loose calipers sometimes griping the wheels when you drive but im not sure.
Any help would be apreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
you know i think i know the problem you are havin..... sometimes when i am going up a bridge my car starts to shake as if it can't decide the gear..... i just let off the gas and hit it again and it works fine..... then again i wasn't always nice to my tranny

·
Registered
933 Posts
Does it feel like the speed warning things on highways before stop signs- or a bad gravel road? If so, it's torque converter shudder. The fix: Mercon V trans fluid and a cooler. J-Mod would be a good idea as well as long as you have the fluid drained.
Read the tech articles under transmission, a couple times.

·
Registered
353 Posts
it does sound like torque converter shudder. if your strapped for cash replace the dextron iii fluid with mercon v. if your still experiencing problems like i me after i replaced the fluid with mercon v, add some friction modifier fluid to the tranny fluid (that fixed my problem).

if money isn't an issue, get a tranny cooler, mercon v and do the j-mod (the j-mod is more for performance reasons than to fix the problem).

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Bad plug wire/s can cause similar symptoms... ar least on the Mark VIII 4.6. I did the trans work (no j-mod, just 1-2 and Mercon V) and still had the shudder at 35 or so under light acceleration. Replaced the plug wires and voila, shudder gone. Plugs were done before trans.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jimbo said:
Does it feel like the speed warning things on highways before stop signs- or a bad gravel road? If so, it's torque converter shudder. The fix: Mercon V trans fluid and a cooler. J-Mod would be a good idea as well as long as you have the fluid drained.
Read the tech articles under transmission, a couple times.

It doesnt really happen as much as a speed warning bumps would it usually happens 2-3 times a second and lasts for 3-10 seconds, almost seems like its throwing you forward a tiny bit
Ill check when he go the tranny fluid flushed last. Hopefully that is it because the bird only has 45k on it

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 97 does something similar. 82,000 Miles and original plugs and wires as far as I know. (Just bought the car). Going to change the plugs/wires soon and hopefully it goes away.

-Justin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts