TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, im driving home from work today and all of a sudden i feel a shutter. Well it gets worse. As i keep driving it feels like it is missing. Then half way home the check engine light not only comes on, but starts flashing on and off very quickly. Well the thing is i got it home. The idle isextremley rough as well. Well i just wanted to know if anybody eles has ever experienced anything like this before? Thanks

-Derrick-

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
disconnect the maf, and take it on a test drive.

If it runs better, than you may have to clean or replace it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK... I went and disconnected the MAF and went for a ride. All it did was backfire and run like crap. So i plugged it back in and drove.........Alot better..........Well it's better but not all better. It still pops and misses under low acceleration, but it gets up when i go WOT. Oh and the check engine light is just staying on, not flicking on and off really fast. Any ideas?

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
Take it to autozone or any other such places and they do it for free, as long as its on. They told me if its not on they cant do it... theres something wrong with my car, kind of like a small miss, you can feel the car shudder in neutral like every other second... and at 1300rpm you can feel the engine through the gas pedal... ONLY at 1300 though, any gear. I thought that the CE light could be burnt out, but they checked it (i told them it was flashing on and off sometimes) and no codes. =(

·
Registered
425 Posts
I had that problem. Long story:

I've had that problem twice. Did the same thing you described. Ran rough, flashing CE light, smelly exhaust. Took it to the Ford dealer and they told me that more than likely I had a bad O2 sensor AND a carboned up EGR. It was during the Christmas Holiday and I had been in alot of traffic jams (excessive idling= carbon build up). It only acted up for a day, after that it ran just alittle rough but OK. I needed the car for my X-mas vacation and the dealer wouldn't have been able to look at it for another week. So they told me to go anyway with the car the way it was (check engine light was just staying on, not flashing) because the long trip might help clear it up (blow out the carbon). So before I left the next day, I disconnected the battery for 2hrs to reset the EEC. When I fired it up to get down the road, the car ran OK (a tad rough on idle, but alot better). Anyway, 1600 miles later when I got back home the car was running just great. The exhaust didn't reek anymore, it hadn't run rough the whole trip and the check engine light never came on. It was fine for about 10,000 miles after that when it started to act up again. This time I just went ahead and changed the O2's and the EGR valve (did plugs and wires also, inspected coil packs for cracks, didn't find any). Problem solved. 20,000 miles later and I haven't had a single motor problem.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i think i am gonna go ahead and replace the plug wires, plugs, new coil packs, and i guess ill go from there. hopefully that will work. Thanks for all the info guys.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
i doubt you need new coil packs...IMO id spend it on o2 sensors before i'd buy coil packs, unless i knew they were at fault for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
The check engine light stays on now, because you disconnected the maf.

If the light was flashing before, I would suggest getting the codes scanned somewhere. If you ask around, you should find a low price.

I wouldn't replace the coil packs without proof that they are bad.

If the plugs and wires are "old", then go ahead and replace them.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah i went ahead and put some motorcraft plugs and motorsport 9mm wires on it........found some lost power that i had with my old factory wires. But didn't fix the problem. At wide open i can hear rattling under the car. Not a ping. But a rattle. I also have a true duals and at idle behind the car you can hear a miss on the driver side bank of the motor. It's not consitant though. Could it be a bad cat plugging eveything up on that side and throughing the o2 off?

·
Registered
266 Posts
i had that problem before i thought it was the heat shield or a cat going bad but someone from here told me i could have detnation. so i retarded the timing some and it went away.so it sound's like detnation to me

1 - 13 of 13 Posts