TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 4.6, basically all stock. I have the AOD tranny. When at a set cruising speed, car will occasionally shimmy (feels like a straight drive does when you're geared too high on a dirt road, lol). Also, if I take off from a stop like I have some sense, car will not shift right, it'll just rev the engine up really high and not shift up (this is only a sometimes problem too, since I rarely take off slowly). I'm thinking that it'll soon be time for a rebuild, any thoughts?

·
Administrator
14,226 Posts
Hey I just got back from Charleston. LOL

First the 94-97 4.6's had a 4R70W, not an AOD.

Most of the 94-95's had a problem with torque convertor shudder (mine didn't but I went to Mercon V anyway). Get the transmission and Torque Convertor flushed and filled with Mercon V, there is a Ford Technical Service Bulletin for this.

Also problems with the 94-95 4R70W's was the Accumulator Pistons and Springs going bad. When I upgraded mine the 1-2 accumulator spring was broke in 3 pieces! This is also a TSB. I'd have someone upgrade the Accum pistons and springs and put Mercon V in.

While they are in there maybe you can talk them into doing the modifications as written up in the first three articles in the Transmission Technical Article area on this site.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I agree...

When I changed to MerconV, all of my transmission shudders and hesitations were eliminated. I also changed my accumultors and springs, or eliminted springs, when I did the J-mod. I agree, and would try changing the fluid first! Also consider going to the deep pan and filter.

·
8,239 Posts
Re: I agree...

This may all sound like alot of work, but changing the fluid, and installing new springs and accumulators is not a very challenging job. It is time consuming, but most anyone with instructions, common sense, and basic hand tools can do the job.

Justin

NickFL said:
When I changed to MerconV, all of my transmission shudders and hesitations were eliminated. I also changed my accumultors and springs, or eliminted springs, when I did the J-mod. I agree, and would try changing the fluid first! Also consider going to the deep pan and filter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts