TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a site to get this info? i believe the insurance companies use this value for your vehicle if it's totalled. i tried black book online, but not sure how "accurate" it is. could just be another version of kbb with unreal pricing. i'm just curious what the value of the expy is stock, as i have most of the receipts, and the agent told me they would cover any accessory parts that have a receipt.

edit: no, i dont plan on wrecking my truck, i am just curious the said value. :)

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
There are two. My personal preference is www.NADA.com National Auto Dealers Association.

The other is Kelly's blue book. But NADA is updated more often

edit: Dealers also use "the black book". But it just lists wholesale values, I don't know if it has a website or not.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
jon...

wrangle a sales manager and ask them? lol

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Insurance companies use a company that records all the local recent advertisements of vehicles similiar to yours. So the value could change by zipcode, is usually lower than KBB since most people sell below KBB, etc.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
so, they insurance companies use dealer sold prices, not trade in value? also, if that's the case, do they base it on "dealers"(who are still asking roughly $14k in similar condition)or joe shmoe's auto who sold it for $1000?

nada trade in: $13,250
nada retail: $16,075
zip not requested

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
The NADA and the BlackBook values are based on actual sales, not advertisements. For wholesale values they record what similar cars are selling for at the dealer auctions. last I heard the insurance companies used the NADA for values, at least thats what they used when the LE was totaled.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
... last I heard the insurance companies used the NADA for values, at least thats what they used when the LE was totaled.
probably the secret little book huh, not the actual website estimate provided above?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
LOL Yes, there are various NADA books in use. There is the book that you, the average consumer, can go out and buy. And there is the Book that is sent to the dealers (if they subscribe to it). The only real difference in the books is the Dealer version gives more detailed values, and a wider variety of values. The Consumer version may have 3 values, "clean, average, and poor", the dealer will have those three values for each of the wholesale, retail, and trade in value. Whereas the Consumer version has values for 6 month period, the dealers book is updated every month. The Banks also have their own NADA book containing loan value.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I don't remember the name of the company but when I worked at Allstate they would pull up the last 5 or so advertisements of vehicles that were very similiar. Different states allow different things I imagine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts