TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So here's my situation... I want black chrome Speedstars in 18x9 for the front and 18x10 for the rear. The only ones I can find online are for Mustangs in the 22mm and 24mm offsets. I plan on going to a Mustang bolt pattern anyway.

So here is what I want to know. Is there any way to make the 22 and 24mm ones work? Or... Do I just buy a painted version and find someone that can do black chrome?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Dont think you can machine enough off the rears to make them work. There is a limit to the amount of material you can remove from the hub pad of the wheel.

Black Chrome is expensive and not all chrome shops do it.

Be easier to get the Black Speedstar in the Tbird pattern. The fit is perfect and an 18X9 will support a 285MM tire.

Brad

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd love to go with the black but its just not flashy enough and I've seen too many of the chrome sets on the cars... I need something different.

I'd love to buy wheels from you Brad. You've been such a help to everyone here and I've learned alot from your posts, but I'm just so set on doing things different that I've got myself set on the Saleens and black chrome. That, and I'm pretty much set on doing the hub conversion to open myself up to better brake combinations.

Sorry, I'm an <b>extremely</b> picky person.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I can't find any that would be the proper fit either. I did find a company in California that claims to have done the black chrome finish on wheels for Jay Leno's Corvette. I think they will be 200+ per wheel for coating plus shipping.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You can take wheels to a powder coater and they can powder coat them black chrome. Just get the wheels you want in polished and then the black chrome is a one stage coat. Any powder coater can do Black Chrome it is just a matter of ordering the powder.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'm to understand though that black chrome sucks donkey dong for DD wheels.....That is, if you DO daily drive it....

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fordfreak, I'll have to look into that since we've got a powder coating setup at work.

Blade Runner, this car won't be used as a DD. So that's nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I'm to understand though that black chrome sucks donkey dong for DD wheels.....That is, if you DO daily drive it....
Why would it be any different than polished? I would think it would hide more imperfections.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why would it be any different than polished? I would think it would hide more imperfections.
Actually, according to what I've read, whether or not any of it is actually correct I dunno, is that black chrome finishes are more susceptible to imperfections.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I think it depends on what process is used. Skewed results probably support the fact that alot of manufacturers are using alot of differant methods. Most of said manufacturers are going to be attracted to less expensive methods as well which is unfortunate for the buyer/enthusiest.

From what Ive seen, heard and read...The Powder Coated Black Chrome is the most durable option so long as the coater is a quality one. All the other processes are ones that I doubt I would gamble on because even if they backup their product who wants to deal with the hassle that a Return involves...NO THANKS.

Brad

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts

Here's S197 Black Chrome Speedstars

C.Hill

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's S197 Black Chrome Speedstars

C.Hill
Yeah, those were the ones I was talking about in the first post. I can't find ANY that have a proper backspacing and according to all my research and Brad, there isn't any way to make them fit properly.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
18x10 with a 24mm offset will stick out too much in rear wont it?

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
i got 17x9s in the rear now and wanted to upgrade to 18s this yr...i dont recall my offset on my current car...did the math and if my current ones have a 24mm offset, the 18x10s would stick out about .56inches more than my current rims...lol thats quite a bit not including the tire!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts