TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I picked up a can of this stuff while I was picking up a new temp sendor, After installing the new unit I sprayed the stuff on the water pump area and the brackets and some othere parts(drivers side valve cover) and let it sit(while warm) then I hosed it down carefully. I must admit I was pretty impressed with how well it worked my water pump looks almost brand new its nice and silver now not brass colorer any more lol. I will take some pics while its not raining out and when I get to do the whole under hood area. I bought some GUNK for the really bad spots as I have heard nothing but good things about this and I figured it may be better for the really bad spots.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Today I picked up a can of this stuff while I was picking up a new temp sendor, After installing the new unit I sprayed the stuff on the water pump area and the brackets and some othere parts(drivers side valve cover) and let it sit(while warm) then I hosed it down carefully. I must admit I was pretty impressed with how well it worked my water pump looks almost brand new its nice and silver now not brass colorer any more lol. I will take some pics while its not raining out and when I get to do the whole under hood area. I bought some GUNK for the really bad spots as I have hear nothing but good things about this and I figured it may be better for the really bad spots.
i use the same stuff.....i love it!!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
What all did you cover/or unhook when you sprayed down your engine?
It's time for me to get my engine bay cleaned, and I have heard mixed reviews on what to cover/remove.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I was just very careful of what I sprayed and got wet. I think the next time I do it completely I will cover the fuse box, the alt, my air filter, and any open plugs laying around.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
i've always used a terry cloth and some wd-40... keeps it shiny for weeks.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I know I'll get blasted for saying this, but I've never covered anything when cleaning under the hood. Just was careful not to aim the water directly on anything sensitive. Guess its a habit left over from the old days of Carbs, points, and condensors. Of course back then I also kept a can of WD-40 handy in case the distributor proved to be less than waterproof. :D

And you're all reminding me. I still haven't given the engine bay in the Red car a good going over since I got it in December. (Its just been WAY too cold!)

·
Resident drifter
649 Posts
I know I'll get blasted for saying this, but I've never covered anything when cleaning under the hood....
I sprayed everything and it didnt hurt anything. the only things I covered were the polished aluminum stuff. you just have to make sure that you get everything on the motor completely dry afterwards.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
mike.. that has become my speshulaliteh... lol... i can give the 'gt' a good scrubbing, as my long, thin arms have proved useful for this....

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
also... i have NEVER covered anyhting on mine... and i fuc*ed up when i sprayed the mustang.... water seeped into the boots for the coils.... bleh.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did some more work today I coverd the alt, cone filter,dist,and hid ballast's with plastic bags and went to town. I tried to give it time to dry (6 hours) but it wasnt really warm out so when I started the car tonight it was a nice smoke/steam show and the smell wasn't so nice I guess some of the degreaser didn't get off the headers lol.

·
Registered
958 Posts
i just cover the dist. and remove the cone filter....( i put the 90 deg. angle "pipe" back on) and spray away.......we got this stuff at my work.....aluminum brightener, also used as a degreaser. works good too. keeps my striped fanblades looking clean too!

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
ya the rubberized stuff (my hood was white underneath )
ahhhh....I thought you meant you sprayed the motor and crap like you would with engine bright, but with the undercoating.......I was thinking WTF!?!?.....but I gotcha ya now!

·
Registered
789 Posts
I know I'll get blasted for saying this, but I've never covered anything when cleaning under the hood.
I just leave the engine running... helps it dry to.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok guys here are some before and afters, still not perfect but I just got my power washer back so that 1700 psi might help with the dirt in the aluminum lol
before:

After:

·
Administrator
8,009 Posts
I tried to give it time to dry (6 hours) but it wasnt really warm out so when I started the car tonight it was a nice smoke/steam show and the smell wasn't so nice I guess some of the degreaser didn't get off the headers lol.
Use a leaf blower to get the heavy water out, works wonders! :D

Joe

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah you can see the bigest improvment on the water pump bolts on the left side were black from grease and oil and now its bright silver.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts