TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

97 bird sport ac delete and put tranny cooler is right on the radiator...look at them belts :ztoohot: :ztoohot:

79" belt...i anybody wants to tackle this 65 lb weight savor

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
you took out everything for the AC, even the cooler upfront...? I would have left the cooler in there, had it cleaned and used that as your transmission cooler. Think of the extra capacity as well. What prompted you to do this? And it looks like the belt you are running is wearing fast by all the black powder rubber i see on the timing chain cover.

Ford racing makes the idler pully that bolts in where the AC pump used to be. that way you use the stock belt and retain the stock routing and belt tension....i would look into getting the kit.

·
Registered
337 Posts
That would be my baby!!! We just used Joeys camera to get all the pics. Anyway Ac has never worked since I bought it. Had it recharged twice and leak detector put in, still no help. So at that point it was just usless weight, even though the gains are very minimal I went ahead and riped it all out!! I always ride with my windows down in the summer anyway. So I can't say that I will miss it. Condensor, all the plumbing, brackets and the compressor all gone. I Still have to go back and take care of all the extra little wires hanging and all, but that can wait for a nice warm day. Really is alot of stuff when you have all of it thrown in a pile in the garage. Well anyway :FYI: if anyone is gonna do this you need a 79 inch belt. It took me an hour at autozone of trying and returning belts to get it right!!!

-Derrick

·
Registered
337 Posts
All the black powder you see is from another belt that totally came apart on me about two weeks ago. It was before I did all of this! It was the stock 97 inch belt. I still have to clean the motor off there is little pieces of it everywhere under the hood

-Derrick-

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
any performance gains?

·
Registered
298 Posts
CobraRThunder said:
you took out everything for the AC, even the cooler upfront...? I would have left the cooler in there, had it cleaned and used that as your transmission cooler. Think of the extra capacity as well. What prompted you to do this? And it looks like the belt you are running is wearing fast by all the black powder rubber i see on the timing chain cover.

Ford racing makes the idler pully that bolts in where the AC pump used to be. that way you use the stock belt and retain the stock routing and belt tension....i would look into getting the kit.
:leftright Seroentine condensers have super tiny passages and thr tranny fluid would never make it through.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Definately revs up quicker in neutral. Less drag on the motor, and weight off the car It can only make it faster. Feels alittle peppier ( to me ), wouldn't be worth it if you like your AC. But if not..... then rip all that crap out!!!

-Derrick-

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
i think he wants thouse 13's real bad so hes pulling everything he doest want out ever thought about the motor it saves about 500lbs if you were running 14.5 you can be in the 13's flinstone style dont even have to worry about slicks :uppoint:

Jurgen

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Aaron K. said:
Thats one mod this Florida boy will NEVER do!

they delete the AC....we delete the heat:D I can bring myself to even take a look at deleting the cold air.

joseph

·
Registered
337 Posts
and yes jurgen getting the 13's was also an influence on ripping it out!!!!!! But since it never worked and the compresser has been squeeling well.......hell with it, it needed to go

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Seroentine condensers have super tiny passages and thr tranny fluid would never make it through.
I know plenty of people (dirt track racers) who use the factory A/C condenser for a tranny cooler. If I got rid of the A/C I would try it.
-Rob

·
Registered
337 Posts
you know what..... we took some pics tonight and I was looking through them....my kooks are starting to rust. They are the very first set ever made but still with the jet-hot I didn't think they would rust

Damn that sucks!!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Rob said:

I know plenty of people (dirt track racers) who use the factory A/C condenser for a tranny cooler. If I got rid of the A/C I would try it.
-Rob
Yeah, on TUBE AND FIN style condensers. 95-97 tbirds have Serpentine condensers which utilize VERRY SMALL passages.

I dare you to try it, stupid aggies.

·
Registered
337 Posts
well I already had a 28k GVW tranny cooler installed so using the condenser would not really be any better then that!!! At least I would think

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Man sounds like someone has a serious case of smartass. Never really looked that closely at a newer one. But you're right, the older ones do have like a 3/8" tube running through them. Maybe the smaller passages are the reason why it's harder to clean out the condensers on new cars. If a person who didn't know any better tried it, they would find their error and remedy the problem. Take care :D
-Rob

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
Aaron K. said:
Thats one mod this Florida boy will NEVER do!
Dude I'm from Maryland only about 12 miles from him and thats something that i would never do. It gets too hot and muggy around here for me to do that. Not to mention he has a black car which can only make it worse so..................ummm yeah

I still say you are Crazy Derrick but ohhh well.

Alan

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Rusty Kooks headers? Who are they using for thier jet hott coatings? I have JBA's and they have been on there for 2 years, no rust anywhere....Hmmmm.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Umm... This is something I have been thinking about doing on my '97. The car is hardly driven, and when it is, I usually drive with the windows down to hear the whine of the sc.
The only thing holding me back is the fact that I like to take the car out for nights on the town, and its defintely not cool to arrive somewhere with a big sweat mark on the back of your shirt :leftright

I am very surprised that there is rust coming through on those Kook's. The ceramic coating is the one thing I actually paid for on those. :confused:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts