TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my situation.....

My girlfriend bought a 97 Sport with 62K on the motor a week ago yesterday.

The first night it was home I took off the heater core hose to make sure no air was in the system that shouldnt have been.

Since getting the car home it has been running a little hot.

I replaced the Tstat with a motorsport 180* hoping that this would resolve the problem. Took off the hose running to the heater core and filled up the coolant until this was spilling over. Closed it up. Hoped I took care of the problem.

Today I changed the plugs and found one had a nice little build up of white soot....

Compression check was between 150-160.

We drove 150 miles to her parents house today. Upon our return I found that a nice fat air bubble has surfaced in the intake. Hmmmm......should have been no reason I can think of for this.

Im hoping that I dont have a small head gasket leak on my hands. :mad: Pushing air into the coolant passages on the compression stroke but small enough not to notice by looking at the exhaust.

So to make a long story short I need suggstions. What do you think I shoud do to get the air out of the system or perhaps even find out if this is a leak.

The car has a 30 day warranty.....but I feel more comfortable knowing what Im dealing with and then talking to the dealership so I dont get hosed.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I can't answer your entire set of questions, but I have one;

How do you know that you have an air bubble in the intake?

Also;

You should use the stock T-Stat.

To get rid of the air, put the front tires on ramps or jack stands, and remove the T-stat housing, and re-fill the system with it off. The air will bleed out of the T-stat opening. After all the air bubble sout, put the T-stat and housing back on, and continue filling.

Also, have you looked to see if the outside of the radiator is dirty?

Might want to remove it, and give it a hose job. Be careful of the cooling fins, as they are delicate. (Don't use too much water pressure, or a straight stream)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car continues to run warm. When I crack open one of the temp sensors I hear nothing but compressed air being released. No coolant inside of the crossover. I need to add more.

The reservoir cap continues to leak coolant and air out slightly while driving. Perhaps unrelated. Going to get the one off of my 97 today and see if it changes anything. Again this makes me wonder if somewhere I am having air enter the system.

Might sound dumb but I can also hear bubbles running through heater core. Sounds like water/bubbles trickling but nothing is wet on the inside of the car. This was the initial item that caught my attention and made me wonder WTF was happening. Very noticable after a stop sign/ light for the first 1000 rpms.

As time passes and she drives X number of miles the temp will slowly increase. It doesnt have a set area that it remains in.

What would be the big differnce between the 180 and the stocker? She will be getting a chip for the car in a month....well was going to.

·
8,239 Posts
Flush the system and put new coolant/water in there.

let it run with the defroster on 90degrees and high, and let it idle for about 15 minutes.

It usually takes a good drive around the block after that to get the system to burp all the air out of itself.

Then keep an eye on the coolant for the next couple days, you will lose some in the bottle, this is because the air was just being burped and you need to add more coolant/water mixture.

JH

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK took it to Ford and they say the heads gaskets / cyls check out OK. Still has air in the system. They even filled it up because they noticed it had an air bubble near the T stat.

New reservoir cap, new coolant. Drained old coolant and it looked OK, old but not oily or extremely dirty.

I need a list of places where coolant could be "leaking" causing air bubbles. No coolant is on the ground anywhere but the bubble keeps returning slowly.

Oil is fine.

Intake gasket(s) maybe? It has the updated intake design so I doubt the intake is the problem. Perhaps they screwed up the intake gaskets when they put it on casuing a small leak inside somewhere...

It has a new water pump. Anything associated with that a possible culprit?

Your ideas are appreciated. Im probably overlooking something.....

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Did you check the manifold where the heatercore nipple screws in. I have heard of some cracking there but I would thin you would get coolant leaking out there rather than sucking air.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
My old '97 4.6L ran hot and I tried all the tricks and nothing helped. I too was worried about a head gasket. So I then installed a new radiator and it took care of any overheating problems.
I can only guess that the previous may have used "hard" water and the radiator got a build up of minerals and sludge inside of it. :zdunno:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
quote:
"Im hoping that I dont have a small head gasket leak on my hands. Pushing air into the coolant passages on the compression stroke but small enough not to notice by looking at the exhaust."

This is exactly what my problem was on my mini-van. The coolant overflow bottle kept filling and dumping the coolant. Turned out to be the head gasket. Since our radiators don't have a cap on the radiator itself, I don't know if this will work. Try running the car with the cap off and watch for bubbles coming back into the recovery tank.

That's how I found mine since it passed compression test and no visible steam out the exhaust.

hope it's something simpler

rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts