TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a plug that will drain the coolent from the block?

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I haven't looked for them on my 97 Cougar, on my 2000 Grand Marquis I can only get to 1 of them, the other is under the engine mount. I had/have a serious amount of sand in the coolant passages on my Grand Marquis, and I wanted to go beyond using a shop vac to suck out the block and to push all the water out, I got a significant amount of the sand out with the block drain, but I wish I could have gotten to the other one on the other side.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what do they look like, is it just a regular bolt on the side of the engine? Sounds like there pretty far down on the bottom of the block. Are they in front, back or center? I can just see myself undoing something totally wrong. I’ve never went as far as draining the block with my other vehicles when doing a coolant change but this coolant is pretty dark and I really want to clean this out good.

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
i'm thinking a square head, prob in the middle. thats what i'd be looking for, not 100% tho

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Mine has an allen head, 7 or 8 mm I think (from looking at it, I used the wrong one because it was tough to get to).

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow thanks for the quick replies and the pic too. That def helps. Now its time to see how I’m going to drive my car up my ramps without the bumper scraping hehe. I’m making a small wood step type thing to put before the ramps so hopefully the bumper won’t scrape.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
what i did in this situation was jack the car up over the ramp and put the ramp under the tire. if you do that, you may as well just use a jackstand or block it up somehow. i use cinder blocks and 2x4's....

·
Super Moderator
10,578 Posts
i use cinder blocks and 2x4's....
Man, cinderblocks have a way of crumbling when you least expect it... I've got a cousin that almost died like that; the car sat down on his chest, before he could move. Luckily, the starter was beside him and caught most of the weight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts