TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blower isn't working. Fuse is good and I can spin the armature on the motor easily. There is a 4" square plastic electrical box mounted to the front on the blower housing. It has 2 connections on the passenger side, upper to wiring loom, lower to the blower motor. On the opposite side there is a heat sink. What is this part andis it the cause of the problem?:mad:

·
Registered
17 Posts
That is the blower speed controller and it controls the blower motor. To test the blower motor disconnect the BSC and test the brown/orange wire for 12V, if there is no voltage there is an inline 30A fuse behind the glovebox, taped to the harness, it has a gray/yellow wire and brown/orange wire. If there is power, jumper the orange/red wire to the brown/orange wire and the black to the black/yellow wire. That will supply 12v to the blower motor. If it runs, it's probably the BSC, if it doesn't or blows the fuse you know its the blower motor.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
My '95 LX recently the blower motor just stopped, then while driving, it started, then it died again. I've been in there looking, gonna test it, was hoping could get it to work, but no go, though it did for about 3 seconds come on, I shut the car off and pffffffffffffft, dead again. Gonna attack it again, plug seemed ok, I was going to just run the motor separately if it worked, AC controls, window, compressor all work. I know it doesn't use a resistor like my Mercury which blew when near new on a trip and I hardwired a heavy duty switch with fuse to run it on high until I got home. Thought might do same on the '95?

·
Super Moderator
5,563 Posts
My '95 LX recently the blower motor just stopped, then while driving, it started, then it died again. I've been in there looking, gonna test it, was hoping could get it to work, but no go, though it did for about 3 seconds come on, I shut the car off and pffffffffffffft, dead again. Gonna attack it again, plug seemed ok, I was going to just run the motor separately if it worked, AC controls, window, compressor all work. I know it doesn't use a resistor like my Mercury which blew when near new on a trip and I hardwired a heavy duty switch with fuse to run it on high until I got home. Thought might do same on the '95?
If it's got the EATC, then it's a module with a pass transistor; if it's not the EATC, then it's a resistor.

Basically, does it have a numeric display or not? If yes, it's the module, and the more expensive part.

HOWEVER.

Being intermittent, I'll bet there's a bad connection somewhere, and that it's more likely you have a resistor.

RwP

Reactions: CrystalPistol

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,364 Posts
My Mark VIII does the same thing. The high-current connection at the BSC is damaged due to heat/arcing over the years and occasionally it flakes on and off as I hit bumps on the road. Sometimes if I slam the glove compartment door closed it starts working. Sometimes I need to reach back there and jiggle it.

I've got a new one on deck to install. It's no fun when I don't have defrost in winter!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I gotta work on it. It has a display as normal, just no fan. I've had the glove box open, door dropped down, tried reconnecting two plugs on the module there.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts