TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The question pretty much lies in the subject. If that won't work, what do I have to do to prepare the engine for something like that? I would like to do a roots blower, so I get the power at lower rpms also. I was thinking if the stock bottom end is not going to hold up the blower, I would go to a stroker kit to 302 with forged everything. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what is "a while" as far as holding up?

Additional information: The tranny has 140k miles on it and is doing well (needs a flush, shuddering a bit at low rpms).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okie, thanks for the input. What type of HP gains am I looking at just by the blower? I am planning some other complimentary mods too. By the way, what will I see start to fail? Blowing bearings? Losing compression?

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
What do you mean by complimentary mods? What kind of blower are you looking at; Allen/SVO (Eaton roots based) or a centrifugal? On a stock shortblock likely your first component to fail would be a piston.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am looking at a higher flowing fuel pump, faster injectors, modified (drilled out) or larger MAF, cone air filter instead of box, possibly headers.

Any suggestions?

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Depending on what blower you get, it may include a fuel pump and injectors. You will need both. Get a 190 or 255 lph pump, the smallest injectors that will support your horsepower level, do NOT drill out the MAF, get a Lightning MAF (Order now from Dan Newman, $109.95 shipped), if it's a cone you better shield it from the heat of the engine bay, don't get headers unless they're Kooks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I beleive the "install kit" comes with the fuel pump and injectors. I am looking at a Ford Racing roots blower. They are fairly expensive. I am not sure on the cost of the Eaton. Where would I look? Also, can you suggest a model of Eaton? I think I said it before, but I am looking for about 300hp at the flywheel when I am done. I have seen people mention the M112. Would you suggest a centrifugal instead? I have heard that the belts slip on those sometimes, but I have figured that was because of faulty installs.... Thanks.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
I'm personally about to buy the same blower, because it fits for my needs and goals. The SVO install kit does come with a pump and injectors, and I would recommend ditching the EEC they provide and getting a custom SCT chip. There are only two Eaton blowers made for 4.6L SOHC engines, the M90 (used in the Allen kit, same supercharger is used on the SuperCoupe) and the M112 (used in the SVO/FRPP, the M112 is also used on the Cobra/Lightning but those are intercooled). It is generally easier and safer to get more power out of the smaller Allen blower, because it can be intercooled. If you become a TCCoA member to become eligible for discounts, the FRPP blower/install kit will be your cheapest new blower option. Used Vortech kits are very commonplace for less than $2k if you care to go that route.

It sounds like you'd be happy with the SVO, but it all comes down to your goals. The SVO will not put up huge numbers, but it will make for a nice powerful street machine. Centrifugals don't have the instant down low boost that a roots blower has.

You shouldn't have belt slip on relatively low boost/power applications.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts