TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a feeling that my cats are bad on my 94 4.6 bird but, i dont think this is what is making it smoke. i know blue smoke usually means burning oil, however, i was wondering if this could be due to bad cats. i am assuming my whole exhaust system is garbage due to the fact that there is a nasty black build-up of gunk in my muffler outlets and when i start from a stop a puff of blue smoke comes out with a bad smell. im not worried about a trashed exhaust because that is pretty minor, i just dont want to have to get a rebuild or anything, im in no financial position for a rebuild.

part of the reason i think my cats are gone is because ive read on here that bad cats can cause a tin-like sound. the ticking sound is at its worst when accelerating. i havent been able to crawl under and hold a piece of hose to pin-point the exact location of the tick.

does this sound familiar to any of you 4.6 guys? let me know the best possibilities, and also tell me what the worst case could be.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
More than likely if your cats are clogged up, it's because of the oil you are burning. Junk like that over time is what could cause the cats to be junked up. Sounds like you may have bad valve seals (the oil burning issue) as well as clogged cats.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info, i dont have the money to get it check out or fixed. im just trying to get an idea of what it could be.

i forgot to mention that while im driving it seems to hunker down, making a chugging sound and loose a lot of power until i give it more gas. any idea on this, or is this due to the clogged cats and bad valve seals?

·
Registered
238 Posts
If it is smoking like you say I would bet on an injector hanging open. Does it have a miss at idle? get bad gas mileage something around 8-10?

It sounds as if you have neglected the car for a while? How many miles on it and how many have you put on since this smoking problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nope, its not been neglected by me. i just recently got this bird, and there is no doubt in my mind that it was neglected by the previous owner. there are 107,000 miles on it and i just had new filters, plugs, wires, and i even had the fuel injection system cleaned out. it was missing before i got the tune up real bad, and it seems like it is slowly going back to its old ways.

as far as gas mileage, it isnt as good as id like it to be. im gettin around 15mpg last time i did the math on it.

since i first noticed the smoke, i have driven it maybe around 1500 miles. it wouldnt be moving at all if i didnt need to drive 30+ miles to and from school everyday and also drive it to work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts