TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm pretty sure I blew a head gasket this past weekend on my 89 cougar ls. It started blowing a lot of white smoke and had water droplets coming out the tailpipe. I'm going to try to replace them myself but I won't be able to for a couple months until it warms up. So my question is will it corrode the engine to possibly leave coolant in one or more of the cylinders for a couple months? When I went to start the car the last time it would start to turn over but then just stop as if there was water in one of the cylinders. It started after that but idled like crap like it was trying to burn it off. Should I try and get the coolant out since it will be sitting for a couple months or should I not worry about it.? Thanks in advance!

Alex

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
Yes it can corrode the cylinder walls, and you should get all the coolant out of there. First drain all the coolant from the radiator, then pull the spark plugs and crank the engine over with the starter a few times. That will get the majority of the coolant out, then squirt some oil down into the cylinders, rotate the engine by hand a few turns, then put the plugs back in, and that should protect the cylinder walls. Also you should check the engine oil, because if there is any coolant in the oil, that needs to get drained out ASAP as well.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Also cranking it with water in any cylinder can cause it to hydrolock that cylinder causing valve, piston, crank, wrist pin, and main bearing damage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes it can corrode the cylinder walls, and you should get all the coolant out of there. First drain all the coolant from the radiator, then pull the spark plugs and crank the engine over with the starter a few times. That will get the majority of the coolant out, then squirt some oil down into the cylinders, rotate the engine by hand a few turns, then put the plugs back in, and that should protect the cylinder walls. Also you should check the engine oil, because if there is any coolant in the oil, that needs to get drained out ASAP as well.
OK thanks that's what I wanted to know. I knew it would corrode but just wasn't sure how fast but since I'm letting sit for a couple months ill definitely do that. Thanks a ton!

Also cranking it with water in any cylinder can cause it to hydrolock that cylinder causing valve, piston, crank, wrist pin, and main bearing damage.
Yeah I know when I started it last I didn't realize the gasket was blown until I started driving it. Crossing my fingers that it didn't do any damage from starting it that last time. We'll I guess the good news is my battery is old and weak so it probably couldn't crank as hard as a new battery lol. Thanks for the input!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts