TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok since i got the '89 it has had oil over the engine, seems to start near the top right side, kinda looks like it exploded. And antifreeze seems to be dissapearing. What do you guys think?

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
You'll have to have that looked at by an experienced person, but it sounds like more than blown gaskets. Does the car run?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
This has been discussed many times, and very recently here. There should be a tech article written with any possible symptoms indicating blown headgasket(s).

Search. ;)

Tan foam in oil on dipstick.
Edit: I had a brain fart on this one. Blue exhaust, as JSGAuto has reminded me, is really bad news.Blue exhaust smoke.Again. no.
Fluffy white exhaust.
Coolant loss with no indication of any leaks.
Severe temperature fluctuations (could indicate a t-stat failure).
Blow-by.
Murky look to coolant.

I'm sure there are many other shade-tree ideas to add.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
JSGAuto said:

You mean white exhaust smoke, which is burning coolant. Blue exhaust smoke is burning oil that would indicate bad seals or bad piston rings.

Jim
Aaahh **** yeah. ;)
Guess my feeble old mind is confusing things now. Thanks for pointing that out. Let me correct myself.

Blue smoke means motor rebuild. :)

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
cougar 3.8 said:
would the whole dipstick have a tan color or part's of it .
It's a tan foam on the top. You should see a definate difference between the oil and foam. That's only if the gasket is broken between the water jacket and oil "whateverthehelltheircalled" tubes. It's more likely that the gasket will break between combustion chamber and water jacket, which equates to white exhaust smoke and air in the colling system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts