TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the 4.6 from the mark 8 directly swap into my 1997 thunderbird.i couldn’t find any other forum on this specific swap

·
Registered
929 Posts
Itll bolt it. But the electronics are different, the vacuum lines are different, and the throttle cables are different. There might be more, but Matt and Mike would know for sure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then is the 02 v8 from the explorer an exact fit? My motor has blown head gaskets and I might as well just swap

·
Super Moderator
13,536 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,036 Posts
I was just gonna say, but Matt beat me to it; blowing the HG's on a 4.6 is... very rare, to say the least.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Because when I start the car,I get white smoke,ik my cats are completely destroyed,but there are no leaks in my cooling system anymore but it’s still overheating,my Ef don’t kick on,I did a sensor delete when I did the pi intake it’s the sensor right next to the gooseneck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes...just recently,I didn’t have the right tap or drill bit to make it😅sorry

·
Super Moderator
7,876 Posts
So let me get this straight. You screwed up an intake manifold swap, left a sensor out without even knowing what it was, ran the car with no functioning cooling fan because of that, and overheated a 4.6 enough to blow head gaskets on one of the most indestructible engines ever to be put in an automobile, and now that you have completely failed at such a menial task as an intake swap, you want advice about swapping to an entirely different engine? My advice would be either find a reputable mechanic and pay them to do the work for you, or forget the T-bird and go lease a Camry. You clearly are not up to the challenge of this swap, and any attempt you make will only make your situation worse.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Lmao read what i said first, idek if it has blown head gaskets it’s been smoking since I bought her, I didn’t mess up the swap ethier,all I didn’t do was put that sensor in, and this is my project car, my truck is the reliable one. So I’m not sure if it’s blown and if it was what’s the point of this if I’m not learning?
So I’ll drill and tap for the sensor,but before the swap it was still overheating. Is there something I’m missing?
Oh and my fans have never kicked on idek why

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
It would have been easier to drill and tap during the install .. Now you need to take it back apart and do it all over again. Learning experience.

There are two temp sensors .. The one wire sensor is for the gauge in your dash. The two wire you removed goes to the PCM .. Which controls the cooling fans. If your cooling fans are not operating correctly your engine will overheat.

I have never had a "blown head gasket" on a 4.6 but I have seen warped heads which is basically the same thing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It would have been easier to drill and tap during the install .. Now you need to take it back apart and do it all over again. Learning experience.

There are two temp sensors .. The one wire sensor is for the gauge in your dash. The two wire you removed goes to the PCM .. Which controls the cooling fans. If your cooling fans are not operating correctly your engine will overheat.

I have never had a "blown head gasket" on a 4.6 but I have seen warped heads which is basically the same thing.

thank you,I’ll get that done should I start a new thread or build on top of this one? The car only has 72000 miles on it,and when engine does run and sounds really healthy. It’s just overheating I’m thinking I have air in the system.i was told I need a 3/8 tap and a 37:64 drill bit does that sound right?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts