TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that I have a blown headgasket in my 95 4.6 LX tbird and lots of questions to go along with it.

What are the chances that I have a cracked head and not just a blown headgasket?

Any idea as to how much it should be to replace the headgaskets?

The shop that has my car says thay don't want to replace the gaskets, they want to do an engine swap. The guy tells me that he has to drop the engine and trany out of the bottem of the car in order to pull the heads.... so for that reason I might as well replace the engine because I'm gona have to spend just as much on labor. Is that true or a bunch of BS, do you really have to drop the engine and trany?

If I don't fix the headgasket what should I do with the car? What whould be a good "as is" price for a clean 95LX with 137k miles and a blown headgasket?

Thanks,
Powermax_X

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Yeah dont listen to that shop. Shouldnt be more than a few hundred if you have just HG problems. That is if you do it yourself.

A shop will cost way more. Probably about 1K give or take depending on shop. Im from MN and they are really spendy up here.

Never heard the trans and engine being taken out of the car from the bottom to do the head gaskets. Haha, thats really bad actually. Tow your car past that shop next time.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
According to the Ford shop manual, that is how you pull the engine out of the car. I can be done from the top also. Posts I have read on different boards indicate that it takes as much time to pull the heads in the car as it would be to pull the engine to do it. The Birds engine bay is not as big as a stangs and there fore makes it a little more difficult. 96 Goldbirds swap was done at the dealer and they dropped the engine from below. When we swapped Timb's Excplorer engine he had to put in the passenger side valve cover after the engine was installed and he can tell you how much fun he had just doing that. The shop is not wrong in what it is saying about how the shop manual says it needs to be done. It also does not hurt to get a second opinion from another shop. If it is the case then now would be as good a time as any to put an engine in if that is what you want to do. An 02 Explorer engine is a good swap for the 94-95 cars. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Unless you have access to a lift, from the top is the way most of us do it. Some people also find it easier to pull the engine and trans as an assembly, even from the top, so they do not have to worry about having to align the engine with the trans. When we did timb's, we elected to leave the trans in. We got lucky I guess when we put it back in because it took all of 3 mins to get it aligned on the trans pins. One of those adjustable engine tilters attached to the hoist helps greatly in install and removal.:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts