TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok with the car running so horrible I pulled the plug wire on the drivers side front of the engine...full of coolant in spark plug hole....

could it be a blown gasket?
\

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
:zwthstpd: If the spark plug well is filled with coolant, it's not a headgasket. Inspect your intake manifold and coolant hoses.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK well nevermind...it was just that one plug that had coolant all other where dry...my fault for disconnecting a coolant hose yesterday to get it out of the way when I put the new alt on....

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it is not necessary to remove any coolant hoses when replacing an alternator on these cars....you need to step away from MN12s
I know it's not necessary...i Just had a lot going on with it...had to pull the underdrive pulley off the water pump and it was easier to pull that hose to get to everything...

even if he did... exactly what plug had coolant? seems like magic xD
plug on drivers side nearest the front of the car all others where fine...

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK well it's looking like the drivers side head gasket IS in fact blown....damn...time for a new motor :cool:

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
OK well it's looking like the drivers side head gasket IS in fact blown....damn...time for a new motor :cool:
Really ??? :confused:

I dont see many blown HG's on the 4.6 .. usually from Over heating.

You only had coolant in 1 cylinder's plug hole, after removing a coolant hose .. to change the alternator. Wow. :D

Hey, if you ever need a second opinion, you can ask your buddy in the South bay to take a look at it if you're in the area ( or if your car will even make it ? ) ;)

Blown HG .. are you blowing a lot of sweet smelling white smoke out of the exhaust ? ( or is it Blueish ?? ) Water coming out of the tail pipe ??? Coolant in Oil ??? Bubbles in Overflow tank ???

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

You only had coolant in 1 cylinder's plug hole, after removing a coolant hose .. to change the alternator. Wow. :D

Hey, if you ever need a second opinion, you can ask your buddy in the South bay to take a look at it if you're in the area ( or if your car will even make it ? ) ;)

Blown HG .. are you blowing a lot of sweet smelling white smoke out of the exhaust ? ( or is it Blueish ?? ) Water coming out of the tail pipe ??? Coolant in Oil ??? Bubbles in Overflow tank ???
It's real weird....the coolant in the spark plug hole was completely my fault, and unrelated to any of this and was corrected yesterday...

This is all speculation at this stage...I'm going to do a compression test pretty soon....maybe if you're around tomorrow I'll take a ride out to your place...the car will probably make it just fine, and if not, that's what AAA is for ;)

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Oil on the plugs:
The oil on the plugs is probably from the valve stem seals not as common on the 96/97 as it is on the 94/95 but it does still happen, mine used to do it. It wouldn't hurt to switch over to a high milage synthetic like I did when I got your 95. It doesn't smoke or burn oil anymore.

Coolant in the plug wells:
As far as coolant on the top of the plugs it will happen anytime you get coolant in those holes, usually it damages the plug wires as well. It happens.

lean bank on bank two:
As far as the lean codes clean your maf, and check for vacuum leaks. I severely doubt that both of your upper 02's went bad at the same time, thats not very common but they are recommended to be changed every 70k or so they don't last forever but for it to be both banks at once I'm doubting it. As far as the evap leak start with the simple stuff.

It's also not going to hurt to change your pcv.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
OK I did a compression test...drivers side of the motor reads 135 across all four cyl.

I should also mention that every plug on the passenger side was drenched in water / coolant

I've already cleaned the MAF sensor...that didn't do anything...

now onto the passenger side...I just tested the cyl nearest to the front of the car, first time it tested at 120, then it tested at 150, then it tested at 135....I'll test the other three and get back to you on this....weird.

next one down tested at 115 .... twice.

next one tested at 120

and finally the cyl nearest the rear of the engine...on the pass side...tested at 135

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts

I'll second you on the blown head gasket on these 4.6's. My 'Bird overheated so badly once in 120* heat that it blew the plastic tanks on the side of the radiator, spilled coolant all over the road, but still made it home and is still running today (this happened about 3 years ago). I thought sure the engine was cooked...

My boss at the shop tried to tell me these engines have weak bottom ends, but I think they're tough as nails, IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
+1 on head gasket. Coolant on plugs... can't think of anything else that would cause this.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
+1 on head gasket. Coolant on plugs... can't think of anything else that would cause this.
Coolant on the wire side is nothing to do with head gaskets coolant on the combustion side is headgaskets

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
Yeah, that's what I meant, but doesn't make a whole lot of sense now that I think about it. Apparently I misread his post taking "every plug was drenched in water / coolant" to mean that the combustion side was wet with coolant. :facepalm:

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Coolant on the wire side is nothing to do with head gaskets coolant on the combustion side is headgaskets
well today there WAS coolant on the combustion side when I pulled the plugs and tested compression...

I just ran seafoam through the brake booster vac. line...it's shut down to soak for a while and I will take it for a ride...did not smoke while adding seafoam...I rant he whole can through.

·
Listening on 141.850 mHz!
829 Posts
I get oil on 2 spark plug wells, driver's side front and passenger side rear. I have 165,000+ on my 97. There is a thin film of oil in my coolant tank but no coolant in my oil, at least none that I can find on the dipstick. I'm losing coolant due to a leak at the back passenger side - it goes down into the deep recess below the intake manifold, sometimes enough to make a decent sized puddle. Car runs like it always does though, still has power with my odometer mileage and the above mentioned condition. I always monitor fluid levels. Hmmm......

I'm standing by to find out what happens here.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts