TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sick of the same white light from my 91s headlights.. so I might switch to a bluer bulb.. any kind/brand I should check out?

One of my foglamps, as you can see, is dimmer than the other. I've tried replacing the bulb, but it wasn't any brighter. I'm thinking the actual lamp, not the bulb, is clouded from moisture. What should I do to clean it up?

Thanks.... here's a pic of the differing brightness of the foglamps.

http://home.attbi.com/~jschamp/headlamps.jpg

See what I mean? It looks stupid coming down the street.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Hey Jason - as per the Fogs - I have the same problem.

So, to rid the lamp of moisture, I drilled a hole in the back.

I haven't done this yet, but my Marquis NEEDS to have it's headlights polished, to remove the 'yellow' layer on the plastic. So, my brother experimented on an old light that also was cataracted - with 1000 grit sandpaper, and a polishing compound.

He wet sanded the light, and removed all the yellow. Then he polished it up nicely - and it looks like a brand new light.

So, I know we're talking 2 different cars - but the principal is the same. The fogs on my car are cloudy too, and I'll be doing that treatment to it. My headlights on my Cat are great, so I'm not touching them.

BTW - you still have a site for your car?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The site is in the sig. What kind of blue bulbs did you use?

Isn't there some kind of rubbing compound, umm.. Meguiers stage 3, I think.. or something... that will clean em up real good?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Your site is in your Sig? D'oh!!!

I have some reading to do :).

I don't have 'blue' lights in my Cougar, but I did upgrade the stock 'yellow' bulbs with a white bulb. Same distance for lighting, but the effect is brighter on the road - especially when it's wet out. I would stick with white, and not blue, unless you're buying an HID kit. Otherwise - it's kind of ricey. The Marquis bulbs are stock, I'm too cheap to buy 4 bulbs for it :D! Heck, they aren't even aimed right...

Meguires stage 3 - never heard of it, but they're a pretty reputable name, I'd trust their products. I can't remember the name of the stuff we were using the other night - but it had the #3 on it, it was a yellow tube with black lettering. What the Crown Vic guys recomend is "Blue Magic", but I've never seen it, or the results in person.

Ultimately what has to be done, is a layer must be removed so fresh plastic can be seen. Which will turn yellow over time. And then you have to do it over again. Which sucks.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
unless its HID the blue look is illegal in many areas... for they are annoying as hell to other drivers and their lighting area and brightness isnt near white. -greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts