TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed lately that I am blowing blue from the right side exhaust, I notice it from a stop, or where I slow really slow for a speed bump, then when I hit the gas again, I get a puff of blue. I have noticed excessive oil consumption lately too.

I assumed that it was valve seals, but I checked the compression , and one cylinder is down thirty PSI. When I add oil to the cylinder, the compression jumps back up to where it is supposed to be.
The engine has 150,000 MILES on it.

The other seven cylinders are all 180PSI, But my compression tester seems to not be going lower than 30 PSI at rest, so perhaps all the cylinders are 150 PSI. They are all equal though, and the one cyl is 30 PSI less. Someone who knows these engines could probably tell me which one is probably correct......

So, my question is: will the one cylinder being down thirty PSI cause the blue smoke?
Will thicker oil and some no smoke or some other product like that stop oil burning such as mine?
I know it would be a band aid fix, but I don't like the blue smoke.
I also believe that major engine work is cost prohibitive on these engines, I would rather put it towards an explorer swap or at least an iron PI 4.6 with lower kms on it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
if you got a lot of oil seeping past the rings, you don't want to go too thick on the oil because the tight tolerances need somewhat "thin" oil, as well as the lash adjusters needing thin oil to pump up.....you can try some no-smoke to see what happens, but don't expect much.....just save up for real repairs

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
if you got a lot of oil seeping past the rings, you don't want to go too thick on the oil because the tight tolerances need somewhat "thin" oil, as well as the lash adjusters needing thin oil to pump up.....you can try some no-smoke to see what happens, but don't expect much.....just save up for real repairs
What's the thickest oil that you recommend running in a high mileage 4.6?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Might he just have a stuck ring? If that's possible, then might try running some seafoam in the crankcase before your next oil change and see if it frees it up some. I had a ring in my 5.0 do that and seafoam seemed to help.

Just a thought.

Jay

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Might he just have a stuck ring? If that's possible, then might try running some seafoam in the crankcase before your next oil change and see if it frees it up some. I had a ring in my 5.0 do that and seafoam seemed to help.

Just a thought.

Jay
A stuck ring would be nice, although this issue kind of makes me realize why the oil was so thick on the first oil change I did on the car....
This morning I added half a litre of transmission fluid to my engine oil to try to clean up whatever crud I may happen to have in the engine right now.
I will leave it in there for 100km or so, and then try changing my 5w30 for some 10w30 afterwards. If it still smokes, I will try a can of no smoke or something similar.
Thank you for your input so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts