TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bought a procharger 10 psi kit with the intercooler from a friend dirt cheap. and i am also getting a PI intake manifold from him as well with a trickflow plenum and T/B....so i wanted to know if this combo is ok to do because i know when the pi intake sit's on non-pi heads the gasket isn't exactly a perfect match and would I have any leaks under boost. Also would there be any turbulence when the air hit the non-pi intake port with boost? I figured there might be someone out there who has done it before? Any thoughts?

-Derrick-

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Well, I'm not an expert, but I think 10psi is a bit steep for a stock bottom...

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
You better plan on at least 36# injectors, and a 255lph fuel pump, and with the procharger inter cooler she may take 8# for a while,I doubt 10# would last for too many passes (3 or 4?) get a bigger drive pulley and dont be greedy... at 6# with a PI manifold and NPI heads there was a bit of turbulance evident, but not too bad, but couldnt keep the back drivers side antifreeze passage from leaking... If you go that route, use a bit of xtra silicone to back up the water passages on the gaskets, both sides, but hey what do I know?... ask on the supercharger forums for more opinions...good lucK!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah but since it comes with a front mount i thought having the intake temps alot lower with 10 psi would be right on the limit of safe

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Without forged internals 6# is safe, and not too much heating with a centrifical ..... you need a intercooler to go up from there as heat builds faster with more boost.In my humble opinion the ATI Procharger is an awfully good intercooler, but the ford hyper pathetic pistins just dont stand up too well. to abuse... however try 10 lbs, and let me know how long it holds up, as you may get evrything just right and the setup could survive.... I'm sure there are a lot of guys out there that will say thats what I'm running and it holds up good, but I prefer to err on the safe side...whatever, have fun

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I run 7-8 psi on my Vortech kit. No intercooler. I beat on my car everytime it leaves the garage....but then thats the only time I take it out as well. Its not a daily driver....just my car I like to take out and have fun in.

I have about 6K on the blower setup....and everything seems fine still...but then its been dyno tuned. I expect the rings to start getting blowby anytime now....or to totally let loose.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Go read up on the PI intake swap kdanner and JL did over on ModularDepot. Get some screws and epoxy and make the ports match. This way you just use NPI gaskets and theres no turbulence. I've done two of them, and have had 0 issues with anything at all.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Leland Jacobson said:
Without forged internals 6# is safe, and not too much heating with a centrifical ..... you need a intercooler to go up from there as heat builds faster with more boost.In my humble opinion the ATI Procharger is an awfully good intercooler, but the ford hyper pathetic pistins just dont stand up too well. to abuse... however try 10 lbs, and let me know how long it holds up, as you may get evrything just right and the setup could survive.... I'm sure there are a lot of guys out there that will say thats what I'm running and it holds up good, but I prefer to err on the safe side...whatever, have fun
I far as I understand things, it's not so much the pistons. The 4.6 and the 3.8SC pistons are made of the same stuff and SC's stand up to boost for a long time. It's the rods that won't take boost. I am pretty sure that rancherlee is running 10psi intercooled on a stock 3.8 na block. Hasn't killed it yet. If you really want ot run 10psi you need to keep those ACT's really low. I would imagine that you would be running right on the edge though.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Yup, and I'll bet you that a 3.8 doesnt have the powdered metal rods of the 4.6, plus a shorter stroke, so there is not much comparison.especially when considering the pistons in a mod motor , as well as being hyperpathetic ,have a different skirt length/proportion which also makes them more vulnerable, where as the 5.0 also with the hyperpathetic piston has a short stroke and bigger bore and those hold up to a lot more than the mod motor ... Also, they are doing 10 lbs with ati 's intercooler with a stock block, but, for how long... with my longer stroke, all I want is 6#, and I am not sure exactly what my internals are, tho they are upgraded somewhat...the lightning is running 8 lbs, but with upgraded internals and a positive disp blower with intercooler ,so It takes more, but stock is safe there...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts