TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking about boring out my engine. i was talking to my next store neighbor and he is a mechanic sorta. i told him i was thinking about putting in a bigger motor. then we got talking about boring out the 3.8. he told me if i get the right stuff and bore it out a curtain depth and get all new parts on the inside like port and polish , pistons exc. he told me i could get at least 325 horse out of a v6. does this sound right.hell it would be bigger than a mustang motor. it would cost cheeper to he told me he could hook me for a bout $2200. what ya guys think about this ha.

What would be funny about this is when some people with big v8s wanna race and i tell i got a v6 and then woop there *** they will wanna look under the hood and it will still say v6 lmao. that would be funny. tell me what you think about this.

·
Registered
443 Posts
i dont recommend you go more than .060 over...well i'm not sure how much you can go actually but i think .060 over would be cutting it close...and i dont think you'll ever see 325 hp on a n/a single port v6...not even on a split port...certainly not for $2200...boring out will increase your displacement and give a nice improvement in torque...not much hp...definitely go with the p/p...heads and intakes...gasket match everything...if you want to see 325 hp...go with forced induction...you will need stronger rods and pistons to support that much power though...

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
for $2200 you might get 200hp.

With the headgasket problem, you should over bore as little as possible. Do not go over .30

boring is a bad way to get displacement. boring .30 will get you 3 or 4 cubic inches. however stroking can get you alot. The 3.8L can be stroked to 260ci to make a 4.3L.

I sugest you buy a built engine.

http://www.moranav6racing.com/index.html
OR
http://www.supersixmotorsports.com

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Start with a Used 4.2L truck engine (same block as what you have and will bolt right in) and bore that .030 over for a 4.3L (about as big as you will want to go safely) get the heads and intakes ported and a good midrange camshaft and you looking at about 250hp and 280tq @ the crank (220rwhp and 250wrtq)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Greenbird, I am sure you mean 0.030 over, right?

I think I read in that infamous V6 section in one of the Mustang magazines (was it 5.0 Mustang?) that Morana thinks that 0.030 over is the most you can really go before causing problems.

Josh, you can't get 300+ hp out of a Ford NA V6. Rancherlee has good advise.

PJ

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
well you could get 300hp out of it (at the crank) but the car would SUCK on the street. You would be drving around with 4.10 gears, 4500rpm stall converter, and a peak hp @ around 7000rpm. Mean while you could have invested all the money spent to build up a engien capable of 7000rpm and installed a vortech or procharger on a ported n' polished 4.3L and have more power for cheaper, Like PJ with the 4.2L in his car, around 7psi boost and he will see over 300hp at the crank.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if i happen to bore it out would be able to take a supercharger on it or would it still not be able to handle one

·
Registered
443 Posts
bore it .030 over, swap in forged rods and and lower compression pistons, and then supercharge it... you should then be able to handle sc supercharger with a 10% overdrive pulley...but like everyone else is saying...you might as well pick up a 4.2 block and bore that out .030 over to 4.3...then supercharge that

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
What would be better? Getting a 5.0 put in a 3.8, getting a supercharger, or boring it out, or boring and add a supercharger. I was thinking of just getting a supercharger and putting that on cause I'm not rich or anything. I just want a little more performance. I have a friend with a 5.0 Mustang and he's rebuilding a '78 Ford pickup, and he and some friends said they could help out if I had any performance upgrades I wanted to do, but I thought a 5.0 was going a little far with friendship and my wallet. I have no idea on how much work it would be to install the supercharger, if anyone could tell me.
Thanks.

[email protected]
http://www.cardomain.com/id/93cougarxr7se

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if your car is a 3.8 with no supercharger it probley wont handle the power to good unless you make some adjustments like what jim said. the motor isnt strong enough for the supercharger. i would just put a supecharger on to but it wont work unless new things are added that will handle it.i dont know whats better to do. it would cost alot to put a new 5.0.
josh

·
Registered
735 Posts
REVIVING A DEAD THREAD...jk

Were in the process of taking out the block to have it polished and bored. So the consensus is .30 over? Is that it? What should I tell the machinist I want?????

BTW...were havin a helluva time takin off the block right now. Cant seem to get the bolts of the flexplate through that little spot on the bottom of the block. Tighter than a good catholic school girl. lol Any recommendations?

And since Im beggin for advice...what kind of pistons, bearings etc. should I get? Most bang for the least buck heheh. Or dang near close to it.

if this is a really big answer post just pm me your number and Ill ask ya so youre not typin all nite.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I say go with the good Catholic school girl.:D

Oh, um, no idea on the engine stuff. Sorry!:(

Anyone know of any good Catholic school girls that don't want to be good anymore, send her over. My ph. # is 1 (660) 385-4992. Really, it is. Any good looking girl, really. I'm not picky, as long as she's good looking.

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
hahahahahaha, oh man that's good.

Well robin, as long as you have the block off I'd just swap in a 4.2 block. I think you'd see a better difference than boring the 3.8 block. Or buy a 4.2 block and bore that. Since it's interchangeable just buy a 4.2 block with everything in it from a junkyard and put it on. That's what I'd do. As for forged parts. RPM-Mustangs.com sells ross forged 3.8 and 4.2 pistons and rods. dished or non. There's another company too but for some reason it's slipping my mind. Maybe because it's 1:15am.

I think Morana actually sells stroker kits to make a 4.6. but that's probably a bit extreme. and the're hyperpathetic I think.

Moral of the story is...I wouldn't mind a catholic girl either. I AM Baptist but I think I could deal.

-Thomas

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
Eagle make forged rods and Wiseco makes forged pistons. This combination is used in the 403rwhp v6 stang! I think Supersix sells the Wiseco's. Dunno about Eagle.
-Thomas

·
Registered
7,557 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Weren't 4.2L short blocks running around $850 from Five Star at one time? Seems to me bolting one of those under your newly p&p heads would be pretty good "bang for the buck"..... just my opinion. So far at least, haven't had a chance to rebuild my 4.2L shortblock and find out. Kind of wishing I had bought the ready to go one...

·
Registered
735 Posts
problem is you have to find a girdle or windage tray that isnt sold by Ford. You have to get it off somewhere. Good luck on that one.

Then you have the added cost of the oil pick up tube, the new oil pan, etc...and im not sure if that 850.00 has all the innards of the block or not.

i called 5 star and talked to max and he didnt have a clue. Didnt know anything bout a 4.2 workin on a 3.8 upper. Didnt even knew what car had that engine (niether did I so I couldnt help). Said it costs 1200.00 if i remmeber right. I swear its a myth. If I could get all the parts at one place, bam im there. But I dont have time to hunt and pec, scope out junkyards etc.

That was what I initially wanted to do. But 12 bills is too much, thats nuts.

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
Moranav6racing.com has a windage tray and pick up tube with pulley. They also have main stud girdles. Check there. They should have everything you need to fill up that block. Though I wouldn't buy their cranks or pistons. they're all cast or hypercraptastic.
-Thomas

·
Registered
735 Posts
Thats droppin a lot of bills bro. lol So what kind of pistons do you recommend not the hypercrapstics?

i need to be rich or something. this blows.

My next car...Im spending a lot of attention on the engine before I buy it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts