TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thinking about putting borlas on the bird, but hate spending that much for a set. I love the sound of borlas and I want something that is fairly quiet at idle but has a nice low roar when I punch it...NOT like a GT, but slightly louder.

Is there a cheaper way to go? I know the Hooker Maxflows are about the same Db level as the borlas, but are they much cheaper? Are the borlas worth the money considering this isn't a daily driver or a track car, just a toy?

I may or may not run cats, since pre-95's aren't emission checked in IL. If I don't have to run cats, why pay the extra $150 for them? Will a set of magnaflow hi-flows help knock down some of that sound?

I plan on running 2.5'' pipes to a magnaflow resonator and 2.5'' pipes all the way back. May go with 2.25'' pipes the whole way if possible (explorer swap with a tune at best)

I have a hard time determining sound difference from clips (outside of tone, but definately not volume since a variety of factors can affect that - which is what I care most about)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I used to have two Borla's in the rear....
and I'm not sure which I like best...my mid-mount magnaflow or my Borla's.....
If I had header's and some kind of rumbly cam...I'm sure the Borla's would sound insane.
But at the same time...headers+cams+magnaflow would sound sweet too.

Search around...Borla's do not rust...I got my set for $50shipping used......

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hadn't planned on doing headers unless I put in a new engine (which won't be for awhile, if at all - don't really have the money now). Are a set of Kooks or JBA's necessary to get the sound I'm looking for?

I planned on going no cats if possible (but I want to knock down as much sound as possible at idle through 1500 rpm or so), running a midmount resonator (not sure what kind though), with two borla turbo xl's in the rear.

Just wondering if I can get that nice, low borla sound without paying the $150 per muffler.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KrazyT - in what way? Performance? Sound - deper, louder?

I'm looking for something fairly quiet unless I step on it...and something a little better flowing than stock (however, the engine isn't going to have any big mods or anything like that).

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm looking at doing a dual setup, but am looking to go 2 hi-flo cats to a mid-mount muffler with straight (as possible) 2.5'' pipes out the back. I don't believe borla makes a di/do muffler that I can mount mid-body...

Will I have to add a resonator to knock down the sound if I go with something like magnaflow? I want it fairly quiet (louder than stock, but not by a ton), but I want it to have a nice roar when I punch it. Is there another manufacturer that makes a turbo muffler like Borla that I'm interested in?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.