TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to replace my upstream o2 sensors as i've thrown a code and my mileage is in the crapper.Is there any difference between the bosch and stealership/ford sensors? i'm on a budget and i am unsure what to do? i had them done in the summer and they were obviously el crappa brand.unfortunately the guy closed down and warranty is out the window.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm using Bosch o2 sensors for my DOHC engine and haven't had any problems. Do hear that the OEM o2 sensors are preferred by many people over the Bosch.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I have bosch, no problems so far. However, i've only had them for about a year so we will see how things play out.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
yea the OEM motorcraft O2s for the 2V 4.6s are indeed NTK, which is the brand marketed by NGK for their O2 sensors

i too ran Bosch with no problems what so ever, and even with 50k miles on them, they were still switching pretty good.....i got a good deal on some OEM Motorcraft ones, so I still changed them out anyways

·
Registered
142 Posts
my 97 tbird with a 4.6 gets 24mpg tops...no matter how i drive. my car has 100k miles on it with a new maf, K&N fipk, and tires are always at 30psi as reccomended by ford. would new upstream 02's increase my fuel mileage? also how much money do the sesors cost and are the upstream and downstream interchangeable?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
OEN NTK are not as sensitive to heater voltage problems as the Bosch. They also come up to temp twice as fast as the Bosch.

·
Registered
663 Posts
my 97 tbird with a 4.6 gets 24mpg tops...no matter how i drive. my car has 100k miles on it with a new maf, K&N fipk, and tires are always at 30psi as reccomended by ford. would new upstream 02's increase my fuel mileage? also how much money do the sesors cost and are the upstream and downstream interchangeable?
ive never seen better than 22. you have a v8 powered 3500+ lb car. i would be thrilled with 24.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Some vehicles don't matter. I personally have had nothing but bad luck with any aftermarket o2 on these cars. The OEM's are made by bosch. However they are not the same as the ones you buy at autozone. Look at them and tell. The OEM ones are thin and the end has holes in it. The aftermarket ones are thicker and have slots in the end.
Alan

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I'm a bit lost, what kind of mileage do you think you should be getting?

24 mpg sounds pretty darn good to me unless your doing 100% highway driving. Depending on how i use my foot I get between 15 and 18 mpg in mixed (mostly stop and go) driving. that's a stock '97 with 90K on a well maintained 4.6l drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I think they did Bosch a few years then switched to NTK. The OEM ones are designed for the front sensors to heat up faster, the aftermarket they seem to all have the slower heaters like the OEM rear sensors. I find the heater supply power can be problimatic for the aftermarket sensors. I can only run a NTK on one side of my car but can run an aftermarket Bosch on the other.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Fuel Economy

The '97 4.6L Tbird/Cougar originally had and EPA Fuel Economy rating of 17 city, 25 hwy.

The EPA recently revised their methodology used to measure fuel economy. Along with that change they also revised the 1985-2007 EPA Fuel Economy ratings so as to be comparable to the new rating.

Their revised fuel economy rating for the '97 4.6L Tbird/Cougar is 15 city, 23 hwy, 18 combined.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/13564.shtml

Myself i've been getting between 16-18 mpg in combined (mosty city) driving with the original O2's (90k on them)

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Mine gets 19 city 23 highway now. Before my tuning madness (50+ iterations) it would only do 16 city, the tune didn't change the highway at all.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I've been meaning to start a thread to discuss tuning for mileage rather then performance. I'd love to hear what others have done maintanance and tuning wise and it's impact on their fuel economy. Now would be the time to get the ball rolling on that... AAA is predicting $3.85 gas prices by summer.

I've been tempted to swap out my O2's but with my current mileage i'm not convinced it's an economical thing to do. I'm doubting i'd see much of an increase in mileage and good O2's are pricey. It might be a long time before i see any benefit $$$ wise and my money is tight in the here and now.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm running rich with the 24lb injectors on my Mach 1 engine and I'm getting a constant 17-19MPG with the aftermarket Bosch o2's. The old engine with 160k and the stock 19lb injectors and stock o2's got about 16-18MPG. I've never had better than 20MPG since I bought the car seven years ago. I'm hoping when I get a tune for my engine that my MPG will go up to 22-24MPG like the Mach I used to get.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts