TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing some negatives about these plugs. Can anyone enlighten me about what you know or what your experience has been with them?

Thanks

Jim

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/engine/wires.html

I ran Bosch for about a year before someone put me wise to the fact they're crap for these engines. I switched to the one step cooler Motorcraft 22C plugs and was amazed at the immediate difference.

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts
The engine was just less responsive with the bosch plugs. I'm sure there are other more technical reasons why Bosch plugs are not ideal for these engines but someone else will have to answer that I don't know all the details.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
When I was was working for Advance, we weren't selling them for Ford 4.6L motors as we were told that the Bosch +4s burned through the stock pistons.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
When I was was working for Advance, we weren't selling them for Ford 4.6L motors as we were told that the Bosch +4s burned through the stock pistons.

Lol I used to work at advance too, every set I sold got returned from the customers saying they were crap for plugs. I tried a set on my 3.8l and they were pretty crappy.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Bosch +4s are nothing buy hype. The reality is that they suck.

Anybody tried Iridium plugs?

I was considering running a set of NGK or Denso Iridium plugs now that they're only $6 each.

Oh, and for anyone who buys stuff at Advance, buy at partsamerica.com and enter the coupon code onlinesave15 and get 15% off the website's price. I've been exploiting the hell out of that for two weeks.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
ACDelco and NGK iridums are the same plug! I saw some mismarked in the other's packaging. These weren't ham handed by someone else. These were from factory sealed packaging that I was opening and stocking.

·
Registered
381 Posts
what does everyone thing of just regular old "champion" plugs. They cost me $12 for 6 plugs.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I noticed no difference, positive or negative, when I put the Plat 4's in mine. A year later and they're still working, so far. I have a set of Motorcraft copper plugs that I'm going to switch to when I get around to it though, since I hear nothing but bad things about what I have.

And +1 on Champion sucking. Those are some plugs I've actually seen prove their worthlessness, many times.

·
Registered
381 Posts
so... dont install the champions?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Bosch +4s are nothing buy hype. The reality is that they suck.

they might suck in a ford, but in an Audi with 10.7:1 CR stock, they rock.

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts
Yea... Right.

But, were not talking about an Audi with 10.7:1 CR stock here. This is Thunderbird and Cougar country.

·
Super Moderator
10,576 Posts
The problem with the bosch plugs is the center electrode size; half the plugs wear out in a short time...the other half are fine. :D

I use platinum plugs (Autolite currently) because our ignitions can wear out copper plugs in about 20k without redressing the electrodes; The platinum plating will make them last ~60k with no maintenance.

Plating is the word there; Platinum or Iridium is plated onto the surface of the copper or nickel electrodes on a 'platinum plug'. When the plating erodes off, the base metal follows much faster.

(Plugs would be expensive if the whole electrode was $300+ a gram metal...)

I forget which ones wear which way; (say that three times fast!) but one plug of the 4 coil/cylinder pairs that fire together wears the tip, and one wears the 'ground' side of the plug.

If you have COP, all wear the 'ground' electrode. (factory, or wired correctly...)

So, plugs with small center electrodes wear much faster than ones with larger electrodes; I had a set of the bosch +4s once, and didn't understand why they wore the way they did. The ones that were seeing ground electrode wear looked new, the others were worn down below the surface of the ceramic. (about 1/16, on the one that misfired)

I found that extra cash spent on plug wires is better than spending it on plugs. :)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
they might suck in a ford, but in an Audi with 10.7:1 CR stock, they rock.
LOL, he's right though. I put regular autolite plugs in my mom's 99 Passat with the 1.8t and it wouldn't even start. Put the old crusty Bosch +3s back in it and it fired right up.

I run stock motorcraft plugs in the bird with no problems. No need to spend extra on fancy gimmicks.

-Rob

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Yea... Right.

But, were not talking about an Audi with 10.7:1 CR stock here. This is Thunderbird and Cougar country.
My point was that it is the combination of Ford and Bosch is bad, not the plugs themselves.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts