TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard other people have had bad experiences with Bosch plugs. Here's mine: About 6 months ago I bought a set of the bosch platinum +4 plugs and ultra premium wires and paid about $150. The car ran fine at first but about 15,000 miles later the engine started to miss every so often under low throttle. The problem slowly started to get worse. My cougar ran like ****, especially when cold. I talked to a guy at Five Star Ford and he said that you can't use Bosch plugs in any Ford vehicle. Although I know he was trying to sell me a set of plugs, is there any truth to this statement? I decided to just swap the plugs with NGK's. The engine hasn't missed since and it idle's noticeably smoother. What's the story on these Bosch plugs?

·
Registered
285 Posts
BOSCH

I use the standard Bosch plugs and haven't hab a problem yet.
But it's not cold here yet.

Fuel man~~~

·
Registered
610 Posts
Get rid of Bosch...

Motorcraft Plat Plus in my 4.6

Or as Justin said coppers are good too.

My SC had them crapola plugs in them when I bought it. I changed them to Autoligh 764 I believe the number was asn the slight miss and lack of power problem went away. FWIW, I have read about more folks having trouble with these in Fords for some reason.

Jim Long

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Blown94SC said:

My SC had them crapola plugs in them when I bought it. I changed them Jim Long
listen to this man! :uppoint:
Anyone who changes their own SC plugs is going to be DANG sure he gets the best, longest lasting plug possible. That is not something you'll want to do again any time soon :rolleyes: :

·
Registered
610 Posts
After that pain in the aaa those plugs will be in there for a long time. In fact till the motor comes out for rebuild. I will change 4.6's all day long before I do an SC again.... :ztoohot:

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
i used bosch platinums, and +4's on my '93 XR& 3.8 and never had a single problem in the 2-1/2 years i owned it......now my '97 XR7 4.6 has bosch platinums and runs smooth as smooth can be.......i just got the 97 in late July, and put the Bosch in August....time will tell how things go, but i doublt i will have any problems

·
Registered
538 Posts
I would

I would stick to Motorcraft plugs.......When it comes to electrical stuff like that....Stick to Motorcraft......My car is a Cali emissions car and calls for Motorcraft Double Platinum

BeirutsFinest

·
High Output Poster
1,491 Posts
I have worked for AutoZone for 2.5 years now and have learned alot about plugs.

The #1 rule is: Stay with OE plugs...you can never go wrong with OE!

Bosch plugs are pretty much only for German cars. Kinda like the Densos are for Japenese cars.

I sell a lot of Bosch plugs at work. The Fords do ok with Bosch from the comments that I get from customers. Ford cars arent as picky as say GM. Dont even think of using Bosch in a newer GM (because of the ignition system).

I run Motorcraft in my Bird, if i try any other plug, it will be NGK iridium or V-power.

NGKs are awesome. I have yet to hear one bad comment on any NGK plug. I had Bosch, Denso and then NGKs on my old Accord. The NGKs are great!

I'm not bashing any manufacturer. Just stating some facts and opinions. And my 2 cents...maybe 3.

·
ChatWhore
159 Posts
Denso Plugs

I have never used them personally but 5.0 mustang magazine put them in their project GT and they were recommended by Steeda so they may work OK in a 4.6 car. I just changed plugs in my 96 and went with Autolight Plat. which seem to be working quite well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i had a 89 3.8 lx, it missed alot and got crappy mileage with the bosch platinum +4. i then went out and got the motorcrafts, ran much better. boy was that a PITA.

i have a 95 4.6 lx now, i am using the single electrode bosch platinums in it and they work just fine.

mabye it is only the +4s.

·
Registered
71 Posts
HMMMM

Am I the only one running splitfires? I have always used them in my bird and never had a problem. The guy at the autopart store was real negative about me using them but I am satified.

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
I ran Split Fires for a while, but after getting cursed at by every mechanic I talked to about Split Fires, I decided I may as well go with Ford plugs. They're cheaper anyway ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts