TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone use a bottle blanket on there set up? i've been thinkin about getting one. they say they help maintain bottle pressure by helping to control temps. Do they work or are they garbage?

Frank

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I have one, but I mostly bought it for looks.
Someone sells them on Ebay for different size bottles, many different colors, and they can put logos/symbols and writing on the, various types of fonts.
Very sweet, and really good material and quality. Real cheap too, like $30 or maybe $20 for a 15lb bottle blanket with the Tbird symbol, and FASTBIRD written on it

I can take some pics if you want, and get their email.

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
I have one of the Summit ones. It helps keep some heat in. I usually wrap mine with a blanket on really cool days with the summit cover on it first.

I do know there are different types and quality out there. The fact is they all work some but are limited in how effective they are by the outside temps.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds good. i'm gonna have to pick one up. i was gonna get one from summit (either the summit one or the nos one) but i wanna check out the guy on ebay. aaron do you have his name or a link to one of his auctions? i cant find him on there.

Frank

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
His/her username is mtnative1 and his or her email is mtnative1
here's a couple auctions
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7938263890&category=33740
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7932511464&category=33740

They list an auction when they have someone wanting to buy if they don't currently have one, like they did for mine. Say you want a blanket, you email them, work out the details, have them list an auction, win the auction - they set the buy it now price to what the total is supposed to be, which for a 10lb blanket it's $20, $2.50 for custom, and $2 for shipping = $24.50, mine was only $5 more for a 15lb blanket.

I'll take some pics tonight of mine and post them

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
FordFanatic said:
so can you use both (blanket and heater)? would you want to?
Yes and yes
The blanket just keeps heat in/out helping to keep a more consistent pressure, but you'd still want the heater to actually heat the bottle.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aaron_T said:
His/her username is mtnative1 and his or her email is mtnative1
here's a couple auctions
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7938263890&category=33740
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7932511464&category=33740

They list an auction when they have someone wanting to buy if they don't currently have one, like they did for mine. Say you want a blanket, you email them, work out the details, have them list an auction, win the auction - they set the buy it now price to what the total is supposed to be, which for a 10lb blanket it's $20, $2.50 for custom, and $2 for shipping = $24.50, mine was only $5 more for a 15lb blanket.

I'll take some pics tonight of mine and post them
Thanks. i'd definitly like to see pics of yours.

Frank

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats pretty cool. i think i'm gonna get one from them. at least i know they can do the tbird logo.

Frank

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Yea I searched the net for pictures of the logo I wanted, sent the picture and came out perfect I think.
Was pretty surprised when I got it, I was figuring it was gonna be really thin vinyl, instead has a nice linner (pretty thick) and thick vinyl (I think it's vinyl).

·
Registered
185 Posts
How does a blanket keep heat in? When the nitrous leaves the bottle it gets cold. If anything you are only insulating it from warming back up. If you want to keep the bottle pressure normal you use a heater not just a blanket. Not using the blanket will be much better than a blanket. I would imagine that if the blanket was a good insulator it could make the pressure go down a lot. This happens with the compressed air cans too.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
funnyfingers said:
How does a blanket keep heat in? When the nitrous leaves the bottle it gets cold. If anything you are only insulating it from warming back up. If you want to keep the bottle pressure normal you use a heater not just a blanket. Not using the blanket will be much better than a blanket. I would imagine that if the blanket was a good insulator it could make the pressure go down a lot. This happens with the compressed air cans too.

Aaron_T said:
...The blanket just keeps heat in/out helping to keep a more consistent pressure, but you'd still want the heater to actually heat the bottle.

·
Registered
185 Posts
But how's it keep heat in? When you spray the bottle gets colder.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Oh nevermind he brought up the fact you need the heater. THANKS!

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
????

The heater is used to warm the bottle to keep the operating pressure up. The blanket is there to keep the bottle warm once heating it. In the summertime you use the blanket for just the opposite to keep it from getting too hot as an insulator against the heat. Sometimes you even need to ice it to keep the pressure from getting to high.

The nitrous is cold and gaseous only at the point it hits the atmosphere.

Does that help clarify it. Maybe you need to see mine sometime!! :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Cool you clarified it for me :)
I just bought the zex dry kit with 125 hp jets and purge kit from ebay for 325. If you have any advice please pm me. I was thinking I could get the device to up the voltage of the fuel pump and make a switch to open the octane plug to retard the timing during nitrous. PM me and tell me what you think and all the advice I need.

Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts