TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey! i finally bought a truck lol, Long story short, It was my brothers truck and it ran great until one day he shut it off...Went out over the weekend to move it and it wouldnt start... Lights & Gauges come on but when you turn it to start all it does is *POP* at the starter solenoid(on the fenderwall) It doesnt even try to crank the engine over... So he bought a new solenoid & nuetral safety switch(Dont know why:confused:).. Installed both of them and still nothing...He gave up and sold it to me for $800 lol:D. He's a single father with 5 kids so time is very limited.

Now i started doing basic trouble shooting and i am getting battery voltage at the + side of the solenoid & when i hook up the DVOM on the starter side and turn the key i am getting battery voltage going to the starter but still nothing. Thats as far as i have gotten today, I get a day off tomaro so i will investigate more.... Any ideas? or common problems for these years? Thanks guys

**I even tried to use a screw drive to jump the solenoid in case it was bad but i couldnt even do that lol... Idk

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
If the solenoid is clicking, it's in the starter itself. Check the starter solenoid on the bendix or just swap the whole starter.

·
Super Moderator
4,920 Posts
If the solenoid is clicking, it's in the starter itself. Check the starter solenoid on the bendix or just swap the whole starter.
Not always, but it's a safe bet. Jumping it does say it's the starter, though.

OTOH, if he didn't jump right ... there's a chance that the S connector on the solenoid has let go (oh, gee, not again! And me in my Sunday clothes .. one reason why I tightened it up when doing the rack, motor mounts, et al ... )

I had a broken solenoid - it'd click, but the contact would not be made. I broke it myself, so I can't fuss much ...

RwP

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Not always, but it's a safe bet. Jumping it does say it's the starter, though.

OTOH, if he didn't jump right ... there's a chance that the S connector on the solenoid has let go (oh, gee, not again! And me in my Sunday clothes .. one reason why I tightened it up when doing the rack, motor mounts, et al ... )

I had a broken solenoid - it'd click, but the contact would not be made. I broke it myself, so I can't fuss much ...

RwP
I've seen that happen on the fender-mounted solenoid and on the bendix solenoid itself, but it's not very common.

·
Super Moderator
4,920 Posts
I've seen that happen on the fender-mounted solenoid and on the bendix solenoid itself, but it's not very common.
On my fender-mounted one, it was because I broke it trying to get the 2GA battery cable attached.

When I replaced it, I restacked in a different order, and *knocks on wood* it seems to be holding up.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
4,920 Posts
Tap what?:confused: The starter?
Yes.

Just to see if the starter's stuck or has marginal brushes in it.

If whacking it once or twice while turning the key gets it to start, at least you've verified it's the starter and not something else :diablo:

RwP

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Thats interesting lol... Whack it hard or just little love taps? Also do these trucks have relays or somthing on top of the starter that i could check?
Tap it lightly .. you dont want to whack it too hard or you can break the magnets inside the starter motor causing it to not work at all. Usually a weak or sticking starter can be started using the tap method as a last resort. You'll know if the solenoid is on top of the starter or it is fender mounted by the size of wires going to the starter .. large wires = power / ground, smaller wire = solenoid power.

·
Super Moderator
4,920 Posts
Or, like my 1991 XR-7, both.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got that thing running! First i removed the starter and got it tested.. It tested great.. bendix popped out smooth and strong... so i knew it had to be a connection problem so i went through and just tightened up all the grounds... cleaned all the connections... put the battery from the bird into it and POOF! started right up.

·
Registered
126 Posts
May also want clean where the solenoid mounts to the fender so it has a good ground.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts