TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like every two years I get the itch for a new car. When I say new not necessairly brand new just new to me. Been three years since my last purchase (Nissan Altima, SNORE). Turned Fifty this year and yes started looking at convertibles, told the girlfriend I needed the Vitamin D. Well came across 97 Mark 8 with 103k on it (with a sunroof) and I got it. Still have my two birds but probably going to sell them. Nice LSC with the spring conversion and clean inside and out. Only thing wrong is the electronic tilt is not working and the cupholder is broke. Gonna need a front end but I can do that with my eyes closed. Guess I just can't get the MN12 out of my blood. Look foward to being on the site again.

·
Super Moderator
11,926 Posts
Congrats on the new car. Welcome back neighbor. I'm in KC now but when I'm not on the road for work Charlotte is my home too.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Seems like every two years I get the itch for a new car. When I say new not necessairly brand new just new to me. Been three years since my last purchase (Nissan Altima, SNORE). Turned Fifty this year and yes started looking at convertibles, told the girlfriend I needed the Vitamin D. Well came across 97 Mark 8 with 103k on it (with a sunroof) and I got it. Still have my two birds but probably going to sell them. Nice LSC with the spring conversion and clean inside and out. Only thing wrong is the electronic tilt is not working and the cupholder is broke. Gonna need a front end but I can do that with my eyes closed. Guess I just can't get the MN12 out of my blood. Look foward to being on the site again.
If you don't want to fork out the dough on a *hopefully* working used unit you can manually adjust (Set it and forget) the tele-wheel. You could probably grab a new cupholder and column on ebay for about $250 if you're one of those types that likes everything to be working. :)

Sounds nice though, where are the pics ;)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't want to fork out the dough on a *hopefully* working used unit you can manually adjust (Set it and forget) the tele-wheel. You could probably grab a new cupholder and column on ebay for about $250 if you're one of those types that likes everything to be working. :)

Sounds nice though, where are the pics ;)
Found out the tilt works just not the telescope.
Right now I have the parts on order for a front end overhall and brakes.
Will post some pics when I have time.
Also have no speedometer, abs and traction control failure light on. Think it might be the speed sensor unless anybody has had this before. In my research I'm finding that instead of being a "cousin" of the Thunderbird I believe i've inherited a red-headed step child :eek: But I wanted something to tinker with,

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Congrats! Pics?

Al

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Only had time to snap quick shots this afternoon on the way out.

The seats have some cracking in the leather and the body is great. No evidence of body work.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Nice! Would like to see larger than postage stamp pictures, but the two things you mention as issues are pretty common. I got my tilt and telescoping working well enough as long as I disable the personalities and auto everything (cannot turn off passenger seat easy access), and I have used 3 cup holders to piece together a fully functioning and nice looking one.

There are always decent ones for under 100 bucks on eBay, or they are usually under 10 bucks from you pull it type places, regular junk yards tend to want over 100 bucks for them.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry about the pics will post more later. Will try turning off settings. In the yards around here have not been able to find any gen 2 but will keep looking. Getting harder to find parts as these things get older.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Yup, gen II or anything specific to a year or 2 is tough. 96 IRMC, VVRM, ABS sensors, those are tougher than the gen II, but not many of these were made.

I am yet again left with a wrecked car because no body shops will work on it, afraid of getting started and hitting a point were a part cannot be gotten. The insurance company just wrote me a check...thanks. I have gotten everything but the door, and doors are not year specific so just need to get one that needs no to minimal body work.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I finally braved the cold and pulled the splash and inspected the abs. Pulled the plug and the four bottom connections were corroded. Cleaned them up and the harness and presto, the check traction control message dissappeared. Now it says something about calculation error. Still can't pull codes and no speedo.Bought a used abs on ebay and gonna swap the module out tomorrow. Also going to pull the wheels and clean the sensors.

On a brighter note all the headlights work and she passed inspection. I guess the guy didn't look at the ball joints.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I believe I got sag

Well I finally got the car legal and have been driving it, besides the front end, it looks like to me the butt is low:

Now i've researched and it seems this is quite an issue with the coil conversion. What I'd like to know is what you guys do about it. Most of the sites say this is common after a year or two. I cannot believe after this small amount of time the springs would settle this much. I do not know what kit is under here but I've seen the arnotts, strutmasters and monroe kits and the arnotts look like the best due to the perches and the isolators. I'd like to keep it a comfortable ride and restoring air is not in the budget right now. I've seen some perches made by DLF in some posts and thought those might just bring it up a bit. Don't really want to lower the car and would like to keep it stock level. I've searched and the only solutions I've found are new springs or air conversion. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
209 Posts
:thumbsup:Thanks, I'll give it a try.
No problem. I'm assuming that there aren't any already in there though as most kits don't include them. Even if there are some in there these are a little bit thicker than normal ones and made well.

No other options that i'm aware of unless you can locate a pair of dlf's bottom metal mounts/spacer.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Riding High!

Well I finally got all the front end parts finished yesterday. Rear end is next on the list.

I replaced the front struts with new assemblies so she'll be high for a while. I replaced every thing including all new brake parts+hoses, strut rod bushings, and control arms. The struts are raybestos professional series quick struts for a thunderbird. I had a set of these on my 94 and they rode pretty good. I would like to restore the air ride but I debating on if it's worth the money. I've spent about a grand on parts so far. The rear is next, spring isolators, all new brakes, hoses, shocks, and bushings as needed. The more I dig into this car the more I find wrong with it. Gee this is fun?:confused:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Thanks caprice305. Installed the prothane's yesterday and I like the way she sits. Best I can tell the spring perches are strutmasters (bent sheet metal with small threaded stud) uppers and nothing lower. From the thread in the suspension forum I was able to determine the springs were in upside down. I don't know how much of a difference this makes but time will tell. I do not like the cheap perches (or lack of) but will tckle this over time. This site is great, thanks for all the help!

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Looks nice! Wouldn't mind having one of those Lincolns myself... Its same with the MN12's, don't see them up north anymore.

Never drove one of them.... How does the DOHC feel compared to the tbird V8?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts