TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While removing a flat tire from the cougar, that became flat when I did a wicked burn out and a repair to the tire failed and caused it to go flat,

I had time to look around the nighborhood (at my sisters house), There was a community yard sale going on and I looked at what people had from a distance.

I seen a boat that looked brand new, I thought I would just go up there and ask. They first said, $100, then, How much do you have, I said less than $100, he said, $75, and I told them Id be back after I get a new tire for my car.

I went back and offered him $65, he said, Well, what about $50 if you tell me what is wrong with my car. I guess I have a neighborhood secret going around that im a mechanic cause im always working on a car when im there.

It was on a Gmc Jimmy, I had my handy dandy code reader I originally bought for a buddy that was susposed to PAY ME BACK, pulled the codes and it was the O2's, So im gonna make money back on that one when I do the work.

Anywho, I got a "Indiana Certificate of Watercraft Registration" And its Valid and he got it a month ago. I also got New 05 stickers with it.

its a 12ft boat and he said I dont really need to register it unless it was 16ft long.

He said something about to stay out of trouble and ill be ok, He said I would only have to pay $20 some dollars to get it in my name but dont worry about it.

But im planning on putting a gas engine on it, what do I need (as in paper work) to do this.

Oh yea, how much does a trailor license cost? I got one but I dont have a plate for it.

Thanks./

·
Registered
663 Posts
visit and search the www.iboats.com forums. Lots of friendly posters over there. if you run across any from Bowfin, that's me. You'll probably want at least a 10 horse outboard. A small trolling motor is a also real nice to have for fishing and running in the shallows.

B

·
Registered
3,391 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
jordansypek said:
I said what do I need to run it, Not where. ;)

Thanks for the info, There is a place called Camp Atterbury about 20 miles away. They have 4 - 5 lakes. I got a Minkota trolling motor cause that is the only thing you can use on thier lakes. It was a pretty power fullmotor, And when I seen all of the other boaters motors, I think I jumped a few steps of an upgrade.

I got a 12.5 Gas motor for it that I just got done boring it out to 2nd over, Which I probably shouldnt of done since the max Hp that the boat will handle is 5. Ill see what happens when I let it rip.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
331 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
93sleeper said:
I got a 12.5 Gas motor for it that I just got done boring it out to 2nd over, Which I probably shouldnt of done since the max Hp that the boat will handle is 5. Ill see what happens when I let it rip.
I woiuldn't worry about it, as long as it still floats, 1/2 the fun of a small boat is putting way too much motor on it!!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem other than weight. As long as it floats, your're golden. I've never heard of anyone complaining they had too much power.

B

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the weight of my 351c I was going to drop in it would of exceeded the weight limit, so I guess Ill have to settle for the 12.5 till I can find something else. :D

How do you calculate gas/electric milage on water? lol

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I can say i have probably more time on Boats than almost everyone on this board, unless they are/were a "squid". Grew up doing the "Gump" thing, also amongst other commercial fishing with my dad til i was old enough to do myself.

Registering your boat is always a good idea no matter what it cost. and if its not in your name ... whats to say he wont say the boat is still his and you were just borrowing it unless you have bill-of-sale. Still in all theft is always probable. No registration #s .... not too much can be done. Father had one that wasnt registered and was stolen a week after he had it; Couldnt do anything.

My best combo was a 10' x 36" with a 25hp. :D Lets just say that thing would haul a$$. now i have a 15'x36" with a 35hp.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That must be pretty hard work, is it mainly shrimpin? I guess it would makes sense being the location you are at.

When I bought the boat, I also got the regristration information, plus the 2 registration stickers I had to put on, plus I had to get mailbox numbers to put on it.

Ive only had the boat for less than 2 weeks and ive already started to mod it:

New Seats
New lifejackest
New MinnKota 50lb trolling motor
2 used but good batterys
Fishing pole holders
A fishing net

I serously thinking about putting a grill in place of the middle seat.
Ive already painted it silver on the front, that graphics into a fade of flat black.
I used some asphault under body spray as grip inside.

Im looking into a Fish finder, your not susposed to use them where I go, but that doesnt stop everyone else, last time we went we just followed those people around, And caught nothing.

We went to walmart and checked all the bait they had, they have this stuff in a peanut butter jar that looked about half full, We took a whiff, SICK!!!! This stuff smelt so bad, my guess it that someone stole some of it, I dont know why someone would dip thier hand in there and walk out with that $***. Nasty!!!

I was told that he best bate to use was crickets, chicken livers, and black artificial worms.

What do you guys use.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Depends on what you are fishing for.

If going for brim I just get a cricket or worm put it on a hook, add a flote and call it a day. But that's really for kids.

Now bass fishing thats a mans sport. I like to use a crank bait and cast it next to stumps and foilge. The only time I use a worm is during spring when the bass are spawning.

The only advice is go with somebody who knows what they are doing and let them teach you.

Also I don't know how old you are but if your over 18 you need to get a licence because those game wardens don't play around.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is a crank bait? A buddy and I are mainly going off of our own limited knowledge of how to fish, Not much at all.

Eversince we got out of school, we have been trying to find a hobby, such as, Pool, mtn biking, fishing from land, Kayaking, Canoeing, bowling, rock wall, and misc local sports.

Although we have not seen the DNR anywere, let alone have been stopped by them, I finally got my license. But incase we did, we would came we were still 17.

We went to dicks and galyans the other night, and I still dont see the point in the flimsy poles that are only 4ft long. They look like small twigs with cork at the base.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I guess it all depends on what kind of fish yall have up there ... i personally like to fight for my fish. The ones that bend hooks every now and again. But get info on your local fishes online im sure. I buy 8' pool w/ ambassador 6000 bait casting reel 30# test, golden spoons, just regular 8guage hooks, rattle corks, few weights, speck rigs, jig heads (assorted colors). My bait is normally fresh shrimp or live minnows. My favorite prey is redfish, bull red, speckled trout, occassional flounders, sheephead, or drum. I have a few friends that do bass, perch, socalet but im not all that patient and sensitive. l:D

I fish that i really like that i catch when trawling is the black mullet. Fishing liscenses are required at age 15 down here i think.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We took the boat out again, We went to another spot but found it to be too full of weeds, but we did see a 1 1/2-2ft bass, we had the bait (Catfish (chicken liver/blood) chunks, and another pole with Bee moth next to it but it didnt bite.

We also seen a water mockison (I dont think its spelled that way), it was about 3 1/2 foot long, and about 3 inches thick, My buddy was trying to look for it on one side of the boat, and I looked over on the other side and there it was with its head sticking up out of the water staring at him. :eek:

Ill try crickets next time, We tried dead minos, but it didnt work too well, got a turtle< :D , Luckly he only had a death grip on the bait and not the hook.

We also tried spray called MAX FISH PHEROMONE, it worked pulling mini bluegill to the surface, but it didnt have any affect on anything else.

·
Registered
663 Posts
try these: www.bowfinanglers.com
www.garfishing.com

There should be some in your area. They are pretty much everywhere east of the Mississippi. Most rivers up there will have some sturgeon. I always fished small and largemouth bass and my Granparents place in Monticello, IN.

One mod you missed is to build a deck on the front of your jon boat. I stuck a removable seat and trolling motor on mine. Pull the seat and it's a casting deck.I use a portable fish finder so I can move it between my jon boat, canoe, and kayak.

B

1 - 18 of 18 Posts