TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1979 Ford F-100 shortbed. Inline 300 six with 3-on-tree. No options. Manual steering, brakes, windows locks. Good shape with no dents except the hood where a tree branch fell on it. Bought it from the origional owner. Needs door panels and dash cover but the seat is in good shape. White with blue interior.

Now for the fun. Mod the six with a 390 Holley 4 barrell, Offy Dual Plane intake, and headers or a 460 conversion and a 4 spd w/granny low. 1st mod will be power brakes since all I have to do is install a booster. i may leave the stearing alone or add a doubler to decrease the effort.

B

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
:zwthstpd:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't have a digicam or I'd post some. Think of the plainest, cleanest paw paw truck you've seen. White w/blue interior and never abused. It was only driven back and forth 5 miles to work for 25 years. I'm sure I'll get some pics after i do a little work to it. Gonna miss my old '78 Bronco though. Sold it the other day so I could get the truck.

Here is a pic of my old Bronco:
[/IMG]http://members.tccoa.com/thunderb/Jam003.jpg

How do I get the pic in the post and not a link?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Ya know..... an inline 6 would be PERFECT to turbocharge if you felt like building a manifold. :D :thumbsup:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
SVT2888 said:

Alright, better late than never. Here is the link to my gallery on ford-trucks.com

http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displayalbum.php?&userid=104856&albumid=21535

Haven't done anything to the motor other than reroute some vacuum hoses, carb rebuild, full tune-up, and water pump. I've done a lot of interior and exterior clean-up. I'm looking for a Holley 390 4brrl and offenhauser intake, and 92-92 EFI manifolds to bump the power up 50%. Then I need to regear, add power brakes, does the list ever end? I hope not :)

·
Registered
649 Posts
ThunderB said:
Now for the fun. Mod the six with a 390 Holley 4 barrell, Offy Dual Plane intake, and headers or a 460 conversion and a 4 spd w/granny low.
Go with the 460. Oodles of power there :D

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Sweet

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
ThunderB said:
Alright, better late than never. Here is the link to my gallery on ford-trucks.com

http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displayalbum.php?&userid=104856&albumid=21535

Haven't done anything to the motor other than reroute some vacuum hoses, carb rebuild, full tune-up, and water pump. I've done a lot of interior and exterior clean-up. I'm looking for a Holley 390 4brrl and offenhauser intake, and 92-92 EFI manifolds to bump the power up 50%. Then I need to regear, add power brakes, does the list ever end? I hope not :)

I have a Offenhauser *360 intake (not the dual port) and Holley 450cfm sitting in the garage that I'm thinking of selling, came off my 230hp/340tq 300-6 That sucked in a bit of water 4x4'n a few years ago. Don't go with the 87-96 EFI manifolds, I tryed those then hooker headers and the hooker headers made a BIG difference over the EFI manifolds (granted the EFI manifolds helped alot over stock. My bronco with the 4bbl, headers, and a comp 260h cam ran mid 16's @ 80mph with a 5200# race wieght and 33" thornbirds, ran mid 21's @ 66mph with the bone stock 325,000 mile 300-6

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
put a 460 in it, those trucks are made for hauling ***, anythign larger than a 302 will surfice!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
My neighbor used to have a 78 with a 460, (same truck I got the 302 out of when he did the swap). That thing could move. All go and no show, rusty with tan paint. It was wrecked a few years ago though, then he bought a Ranger to save on gas.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've really gotten to like the six. It's a torque monster and it can only get better with righ intake and exhaust. I've gotten it up to 17 MPG with some tweeking and a 460 will barely get half that.

Seems like every truck I see and hear has the same v8 tone, I thought i might try to get my six to sound like a tractor trailer truck (they use inline sixes too ;) ) Trying to be a little different.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
ThunderB said:
I've really gotten to like the six. It's a torque monster and it can only get better with righ intake and exhaust. I've gotten it up to 17 MPG with some tweeking and a 460 will barely get half that.
Funny you should mention that: :D

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471955

And keep in mind this is a 472 (.060 over 460)

And I know with an overdrive (I'm probably going E4OD) I can beat that by lowering the effective gear ratio.

And here's how a 460 fits in a 69 F100 :D

Seriously though, the amount of money you will spend on the 6 cylinder will be more and provide less power than dropping in a V8. But a lot depends on what you want to do with it. If you plan on towing anything, I would highly recommend a large engine. But nice truck none-the-less. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A big block is fun and would make a heck of a muscle truck but I don't have the pockets for that right now. It is always an option for later. I'm still scraping to get enough for my frontend/suspension overhaul on the Bird.

Did you see RancherLee's torque numbers? I'm hoping for some good down low torque and decent mileage, since I won't be revving over 4000 RPM. I'm getting 17 with no OD, but a 2.75 rear. I may tow a small/medium camper, but then I'll need so many mods (pwr steering, pwr brakes, gear, better trans, etc.) that I may have to sell it and get another Ford truck to pull with. I don't know, the more I drive it and the more I do to it, the more likely it will be around for a long time.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
PWR steering is overrated. Didnt have it on the Ranger and it never bothered me. The 300 will tow a small/medium trailer, my aunts dad had an F-150 with the I-6 and used it to go up to his cabin with his boat.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The 300 is probably the best truck motor Ford ever put into a light duty truck. It's perfect for around town driving and light duty pulling, plus it'll last longer than the truck if it's maintained. Of course a 460 would be fun. No such thing as too much power, but with gas prices like they are, I need the 300 economy more than I need the 460 power. The 300 is the best compromise.

Power steering over-rated? It's needed when backing a camper or large trailer. Do a few lock-to-lock turns with no power steering and you'll need someone to lift your arms to scratch your head because your arms will be worn out. As far a s just regular driving, yeah it's not necessary, though it is nice for tight parking lots.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
You have mail and a pm RancherLee.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
That is awesome! I want one just like it.

I have an 82 F-150, and it would be perfect if it didn't have the VV emissions carb and all the feedback stuff on the 351. Four speed, rubber floor, long bed, dual tanks (last time I filled both tanks gas was under a buck a gallon).

For my use now, if it had a regular carbed 300, 302, or 351, same four speed, 2 wheel drive (last time I had it in 4x4 was pulling fence posts), I would be happy.

I have to deal with yearly emissions tests, so I am gathering the parts (unsuccessfully I might add) to get rid of all the feedback crap and the dual cats to get it back on the road. Life sucks without a truck. I have to borrow my moms 89 Grand Marquis and a trailer to do anything, and I am remodeling my kitchen in a month or two.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts