TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a XCAL2 from a friend and it is unlocked.

What else do I need to do to get a tune loaded on it for my car?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
i tuner to cut you a tune and email it to you.

download thee software to run and load the files on SCTs site.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do I find I tuner?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
See this thread about locked XCal devices. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=94528

Specifically, read Darrin's post below

Darrin said:
Just an FYI because I don't want to see anyone thinking they are getting something that they can't.

Guys, remember that these devices lock to a VIN number programmed into the PCM on the car. They don't lock to a computer box code or type of car, they lock to an individual car. Once locked it can only be used to tune that one car until it is unlocked. SCT is the only place that can unlock a locked device.

SCT has recently made it cost more to unlock a locked device so that it can be reused than it does to buy a new one. You also have to pay shipping both directions. It might cost you $10 to ship it to them but let me tell you, they don't ship it back any cheap way. From them to me in Indiana it has never been less than $25. Then, you have to pay a dealer for their time and tuning. Most dealers charge between $100 and $150 to put one very basic tune on a device they didn't sell. Custom tunes cost more.

So lets look at the cost if you get the thing free and want to use it to tune a car.

$250 minimum to unlock the device
$10 minimum shipping to SCT
$25 minimum shipping from SCT
$100 minimum cost for tuning for a very basic tune
-------
$385 minimum for a used device with one "off the shelf" tune

But a locked tuner definitely isn't without value. It will still work as a datalogger and a code reader.

You can put it on ebay and make it very clear that its locked and must be sent back to SCT through an authorized SCT dealer to be unlocked for a fee.

Darrin

·
Registered
9,966 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Apparently the edit buttons do not work sometimes...maybe my internet sucks.

I didn't see that you bought one UNlocked. The title said used, so I assumed it was locked.

My bad - disregard my post.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How can you tell if it is unlocked?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
You need a USB cable first. Then you need to download the Live Load 3 from http://www.sctflash.com/downloads.php, install it in your PC or laptop. You will use the same program to load the program you purchase for the vehicle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts