TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i just bought a great looking 3.8L 95 tbird. got it for CHEAP. very cheap. The HG's are blown i think. Coolant coming out of the exhaust, smoke, missfires, etc. I searched, but all my questions weren't answered.. What gaskets do i need? Upper intake, lower intake, the head gaskets, new bolts, EGR gasket, Exhaust manifold gaskets? How long will the job usually take? Any pointers??? Thanks guys! BTW, this car is CLEAN. We spent 5 hours buffing waxxing and detailing. We will be doing it tomarrow.. so I would appreciate any tips! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The best thing to do is buy my LOW miles engine I am selling. Just drop it in and your good to go.
Only has 50,000 original miles.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Just buy the fel-pro gasket set. It has all of the gaskets you could need inside it. It has the head gaskets, the injector rings, new valve stem seals, exuahst manifold gaskets, upper and lower intake gaskets, EVERYTHING!

While you got the heads off, might as well have a valve job done if possible. Trust me, you will definately be happier that you got it done!

Pointers? I had to use a jack to line up the exhaust manifolds on the heads. Remember to buy new head bolts also! Also, you can do some match porting work on the upper and lower intakes. It'll add a few ponies (approx 5-10, but it's worth it)

It should only take a few hours to actually get everything off. But of course also you want to take the heads to a macine shop and have them checked for cracks, and have them milled also. (I Highly recommend this!!!)

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
btw, we bought the car to sell it. any other pointers you guys can give me?
thanx for the reply guys!

p.s. why do i take off the injectors? cant they just stay in the intake manifold with the fuel rails? thanx

·
Registered
647 Posts
you've kinda got to remove the injectors from the intake manifold if I remember correctly. Because I believe the fuel lines and computer lines get in the way of removing the heads. It's just easier to take them out, and replace the rings on them, but you might have a problem with a pintle cap coming off one of the injectors (mine did, got stuck in lower intake) but I also sent mine away and had them professionally cleaned and such. Was like $75 for it.

But, if you're just buying to build and sell, i'd still do the stuff with the heads (check for cracks, milled, valve stem seals) because then you can tell the buyer the heads have been completely rebuilt!

All in all, you're probably lookin at puttin probably around $250 if not a lil bit more (Which should be less than the $600 that I spent on my HG's....but I did a lot more cause I kept the car)

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
200 huh? wish i had known that before i dropped 700 into getting hg, valve job, milled/tested.. etc. etc. could have gotten the engine, and had it installed for that. bc the engine i just put that into has 200k+ on it.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
sinhumane said:
200 huh? wish i had known that before i dropped 700 into getting hg, valve job, milled/tested.. etc. etc. could have gotten the engine, and had it installed for that. bc the engine i just put that into has 200k+ on it.

Yeah hell of a deal. Just did the v8 swap and have no need for this thing. The engine saw the road maybe once a month.

·
Registered
600 Posts
No intentions of thread jacking here but 94ONAIR, what would the cost be to ship that engine say to...Delaware lol. 19734 is the zip.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Well i just bought my engine and had it shipped. Cost me $150. It came from the East Coast to the west coast. So it will be around that much.

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All went well. Didnt loose any caps, bought new hg's, upper and lower intake gaskets, head bolts, new plugs, flushed the engine, etc. THe upper and lower intake gasket set came with new injector o-rings and such. I cleaned and checked the heads for warping and it checked out, but I went ahead and took it to a shop i have access to and milled it .002 anyways. 9 hours later, the car runs great, no overheating and no smoking. Only thing that went wrong was there is a metal coolant hose that comes out of the water pump that we broke, so it leaks coolant. gonna get a replacement tomarrow =) Thanks for the help fellas. btw, bought the car CHEAP, and now im gonna sell it for 1,900 plus =)

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Rather the emphasize you got it CHEAP why not just tell us what you paid for it, how much your into it for parts, how many hours total you’ve got into it from pickup to sale, then fill us in what the final sale price was.

Then we'll known exactly how awesome good a deal it was for you... :)

I mean why be cryptic about it? :confused:

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
sinhumane said:
I'm not sure you'd be that better off with a "new" 3.8L with 50K on it. It'll probably be needing it's first set of head gaskets soon. lol :bangwall:

round and round it goes... You might of just of ended up spending everything you've spent plus the cost of the "new" engine and having it installed!

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Payed 100 for the car, and 130 for parts. =) about 14 hours into it, buffing, cleaning, phaze glaze, wax, interior... etc. Other than that.. perfect car. It has a new IAC valve, O2's, Radiator, thermostat, coolant flush, plugs and wires, Lower ball joints, tie rod ends, and brakes. =) Now I have 2 tbirds.. haha

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
So depending on what you sell it for it's sounds like you've made a pretty decent hourly wage. :)

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yup, not too shabby.. this thing drives and rides better than my 97 did with 40k =P

1 - 16 of 16 Posts