TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any other military types waiting for the announcement with baited breath?!?!?! :beek:

I think 0930 is the announcement time.... :beek: :beek:

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, why won't it let me capitalize "BRAC" in the title??? :2huh:

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I put "BRAC" in the title, it replaces it with "Brac"... :2huh:

Or was the "huh" as to what BRAC is? :confused:

Oh, and the list is out... :D

·
Registered
927 Posts
Youngstown was spared. Whew!

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Redstone Arsenal, AL is gaining... woohoo!!! :znanner:

Talk about breathing a BIG sigh of relief!!!!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
Or was the "huh" as to what BRAC is? :confused:

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Base Realignment and Closure

DoD sits down and says, "What bases can we close to save money”.... And then closes them and lays off all the employees of said bases!!!" :beek:

BRAC has a HUGE impact on communities/local economies and needless to say personnel/families. :beek:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Base Realignment and Closure

DoD sits down and says, "What bases can we close to save money”.... And then closes them and lays off all the employees of said bases!!!" :beek:

BRAC has a HUGE impact on communities/local economies and needless to say personnel/families. :beek:
Gotcha! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, but the copy I have is still "FOUO"... unless it's on CNN/MSNBC/Fox, etc.. I'm sure it will be posted VERY, very soon!! :D

Here is one list I found, but I don't know how accurate it is:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/base_closings_list

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Word's out from the guy with the eagles and we're not on the list for now... and thank goodness. Done it once in 95, don't want to do it again. If we'd been on the list I may have been testing the FERS early retirement process.

Technically, they don't lay everybody off at the closed activities. There are a couple of different programs to try and keep your career going if you're willing to relocate. Relocating is a huge pain even with Uncle paying for it (paperwork and more paperwork) and is an option most don't want to entertain.... so technically you quit if you refuse so many job "offers", three I think.

Definitely a huge economic impact in some areas, others won't even notice outside of the affected folks. For instance most of the ones affected in DC will end up as contractors with beltway bandits - making more money doing the same work.

<a href="http://www.defenselink.mil/brac/pdf/Appendix_C_FinalUpdated.pdf"> Official list (PDF file) </a> is up at http://www.defenselink.mil/brac/

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Pope Air Force Base would lose 4,800 troops under a base closing proposal released Friday morning by the Pentagon. Fort Bragg would gain 4,078 troops under the plan, while Seymour Johnson Air Force Base would add 345.

And you can't use all capital letters in a post/thread title. If you included a few non-caps it would have let you.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
doodaa said:
For instance most of the ones affected in DC will end up as contractors with beltway bandits - making more money doing the same work.
Oh, so you have figured out the REAL reason for BRAC also.... :leftright

I'm glad to hear nobody so far has been nailed!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ShadowDragon said:
And you can't use all capital letters in a post/thread title. If you included a few non-caps it would have let you.
OK, I'm a little happier now. :D

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
I listened to Rummy's BRAC briefing on XM....I only read the yahoo headline...33 bases(eek) I know there are alot of bases on the CONUS, but jeez closing bases and wanting a more lethal force doesnt make alot of sense....Of course the force multiplier/joint operations idea does seem to work quite well.

joseph

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
“Closure” does not necessarily mean the mission is going away. Some bases are closing, some bases are gaining those missions, and some bases are shrinking and growing at the same time.

It really isn't a "stop a mission/function", but rather a "move" of said mission/function.

Or at least that is the way I understand it. But the impact on the community is where it really hurts. Because for them, it is going away and nothing is going to replace it. (Although many of the sites that closed years ago have been happy because DoD just coughed up the land to the community... for free!!! (I think)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Oh, so you have figured out the REAL reason for BRAC also.... :leftright
I fell off a turnip truck but it wasn't yesterday.... ;)

BRAC is a political exercise, the thought of DoD actually saving money is a joke. It's a left handed way to cut the size of the federal work force and switch the jobs to contractors which are "less expensive" than we are, for the initial year of the contract. I guess we should be glad they haven't figured a way to move our jobs offshore yet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts