TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a knock that occurs under moderate braking, enough to cause slight nose dive. The knock does not happen going over bumps. I've been scratching my head, I pulled the wheels to clean off my rotors which help with the vibration under braking. I found the knock. The caliper moves slightly on the top guide pin, probably not even 1 mm. But enough that if you mash on it, I can hear a faint knock.
If I replace the guide pins and the rubber for said pins should this fix the problem?

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,526 Posts
Possibly - the slack is going to be either worn pins or the bore in the brackets.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Best reason I've heard of for brake mods. :)

Reactions: Kidd-7

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grog, exactly. I need to make it last a little while longer so I can get the funds to support that.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will the dual piston mustang calipers I've read about fit under my 15" rims?

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
The GT PBR calipers will fit under 15" wheels.

You want to buy the 04 ones, because they have the same size banjo bolts as our cars.
Otherwise, you end up buying a set, lol.

I bought these, which are sadly out of stock at the moment.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I believe I have an old set of stock brakes from my 94. You can have them if you want to pay shipping, or if you want me to pull the pins and brackets I can do that also. If you are going to upgrade, you can use any 99-04 PBRs (not Cobra) if you have the banjos to match.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I looked for these this morning to no avail. I must have already given them to someone else.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm looking into the brake upgrade now. I need rotors and the replacement pins didn't fix the play.
Is there any value in replacing the rear calipers? I've generally not replaced calipers on any of my vehicles, but these are 24 years old now.
I am planning on replacing the hoses, pads & rotors all the way around and PBR calipers up front.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Rock auto sells the Powerbrake powdercoated PBr's for the 04 Mustang GT; that lets you reuse your Banjo bolts.

The stock replacement hoses are cheap, but the stainless ones are WAY better for braking feel. :)

You can't use the mustang rear calipers; our parking brake setup is different.

The cobra upgrade is the way to go for the rear, but that requires bigger wheels and either a mustang wheelswap,
Or you have to drill the Cobra rear rotor for our cars.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not interested in a wheel swap. Is there a current source for the singles hoses? I didn’t find them on super coups website.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Spinningwheels-sc.com was the place I bought my brake lines; apparently they are out of the internet game.

There's a FB page, you might try them there.

I'll get them made locally when I need another set, I guess.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Grog, I've never pursued something like that before, having hoses made locally. Any direction on what kind of shop could make them? And what I would need to provide to have them made?
So no need to replace the rear calipers unless trying to upgrade.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
Grog, I've never pursued something like that before, having hoses made locally. Any direction on what kind of shop could make them? And what I would need to provide to have them made?
Thanks.
I'm spoiled; we're in the middle of oil field country, so all I need to do is take a rubber hose to any of several pressure hose shops, tell them I want a braided stainless hose to replace it, and open my wallet and smile :):)

But places like O'Reilly's or AutoZone may be able to also; some around here also do hydraulic hoses.

If there's a speed shop in town with a machine shop, they may be able to also.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
What Ralph said; so to a shop that makes lines for large machines like bulldozers and stuff is the one you want.

Pressure meters and other stuff need small lines, so it's not all 4" ram feeders, lol.

Here locally I've used Royal Brass and Hose, in Knoxville. Search around, you'll find someone.

Take the old line; they can usually find something that will work, and test it to 10,000+ psi for you.

Reactions: RalphP

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Thanks.
Hydraulic line company can make them. bring them both ends (aka your old hose) and tell them how long you want between the fittings. I found spinning wheels to be cheaper for the brake lines from classic tube. I made a better clutch line at the local shop with a connector in the middle to make connecting/disconnecting esier.

Here's the shop I use: Hose Company in San Jose, CA | Parker Hose Shop

Any shop that stocks "parker hose and fittings" will probably be the kind of shop you want.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,526 Posts
Spinningwheels-sc.com was the place I bought my brake lines; apparently they are out of the internet game.

There's a FB page, you might try them there.

I'll get them made locally when I need another set, I guess.
They're on eBay too. That's where I bought mine a number of years back.

The Mark VIII lines will work on the 93+ MN12 too.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The braided steel lines they have on eBay are ~$150, is that about what you guys paid locally?
Any difference in these hoses on ABS vs non-ABS or 15” vs 16” rims?
I reached out to them on eBay to see what’s available.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Locally is going to be more; ever buy anything from a guy who makes parts for $250,000 and up machines?

:)

IDK about ABS, but make sure you route them so they don't rub or interfere with anything.

You Will notice substantially better braking after the upgrades.

Skip the drilled/slotted rotors; The slots fell like you're hitting rumble strips under heavy braking, lol.
I think I'll look for just drilled next time. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts