TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have a 1990 TBSC and its been leaking brake fluid for about 2 or months. But it started leaking so bad that I'd have white smoke coming from under the hood everytime id stop at a light. So I took it to the shop and he says i have a bad master cylinder. It was leaking so i let him replace it. The leakin stopped for a month. But now its back and smoking at the light again. It even ran completely out of brake fliud while i was on highway (VERY SCARY MOMENT) I had take it back to the shop and he says its leaking from some sensor. (i forgot which one he said. think it was ABS Sensor) So he says its cost 300 for the sensor plus labor charges. B4 I give this guy my money is there anything else i can do. How do i check for the leak. Just pump the brake and get under the car and search? Is the sensor really 300 dollars? Is there anything i can tighten to make sure theres not just something loose? How do i know its not the accumulator?

Im not the brightest when it come to fixing cars but i have no problem trying to fix them or learning how to. Any and all helpis greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i think the best bet is just to yank out the abs senors. i need to do that as well on my daily driver.

can anyone snap a pic where these sensors are located/best way to remove them? i'm mechanically handicapped too. not much experience anyways. but i can learn

·
Registered
630 Posts
ok im not quit sure about this but give it a shot look behind the drivers front wheel and see if its that sensor! if so the go to a junk yard and pull one off a cougar xr7 89 for a markvii,sc

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have taken my brake unit apart and/or replaced it three times. One time it was leaking from the grommet that the reservoir hose connects to the pump. Another time it was leaking from the pressure switch. If the mechanic said it's leaking from a sensor then, I'm sure he's talking about the pressure switch which is a green aluminum sensor that screws into the pump and has a plug facing the drivers side quarter panel. It is on the bottom side of the pump. A special socket goes over it to unscrew it from the pump. It's like a deep well multi sides socket. You can remove the switch from the drivers side without removing the whole brake unit. But, you need extensions and a universal joint. The switch itself has a nitrile rubber O-ring that fits way inside the pump. The switch is obsolete from Ford, but have no fear, GM makes the same switch for a few of there cars. The GM Pressure Switch part # is 25530882. The socket you can order directly from the company who makes these special tools for Ford. I'm sorry, but I forgot there name. If you look in a ford manual or call a dealer up, I'm sure they can tell you the company's name and give you the phone number. The socket is $50 and the switch is about the same. It is NO WHERE near 300 to replace.
Now, my leak problem was coming from that switch, but it was because of a bad accumulator that the switch was leaking. I believe that the accumulator wasn't able to hold a charge anymore so it was pushing the fluid back through the pump and the pressure to great for the pressure switch 0-ring to handle, and is was leaking from there. I switched out the pressure switch and it still leak, but it wasn't until the accumulator was changed that it magically stopped! If you have to remove the accumulator ball, make sure that it is discharged before unscrewing it by pumping the brake with the engine off, key out about 20 or more times. If you don't it will come screaming out at you with 2,000lbs of pressure, most assuredly killing you.

Good luck. PM me if you have any more questions.

Metalman

1 - 4 of 4 Posts