TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with my 93 T-Bird. It does not have ABS brakes. The problem is, when I press the brake pedal, I have to press pretty hard, almost enough to lock the brakes to get the rear lights to come on.

Strange thing is, I'm on my 2nd brake light switch. It seems to work fine initially (before I drive it), but it works intermittently after that. I was thinking it might be mounted wrong or something, but I can't really tell.

Any ideas?

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
I think where the switch mounts you can adjust it by moving it forwards or backwards. Try lossening it and pushing it closer to the brake pedal

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Are you sure you got the right switch when you changed it? The ABS switch and the normal switches ARE different, and the only difference (to my knowledge) is that the ABS switch has a stiffer spring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the switch on my car I think is different than the 96. I was at the junkyard a few weeks ago and noticed that a later model has a pushbutton switch that mounts to a solid part.

My car has a switch that mounts right on the linkage between the pedal and the master cylinder. I didn't notice any kind of adjustment. If you push the pedal it must use some sort of position differential to determine whether it's pressed or not. The brakes DO work every time if I push the switch myself.

As far as ABS or no ABS switch, that I don't know. But why would it work initially?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts