TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, stopping for a yellow light today my brake pedal when to the floor and it pulled to the left pretty good like there was no brake pressure on the right side. The brakes worked fine after this, normal stopping power. I'm wondering why this happened, I put on a new master cylinder and rebuilt the caliper piston seals and bled everything at all four wheels last summer. No problems until now. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,391 Posts
You have a leak.

The brakes are setup fr and rl, fl and rr, just to cut down on pulling issues.

I've had the factory lines fail, which spurts fluid everywhere, or the master cylinder is bad, leaking internally.

If it's the master cylinder, you'll need a booster too; it leaks bf into the booster, killing it too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My 96 Thunderbird had the brake line along the left front fender in the engine bay and it rubbed on something metal and formed a hole there, which I discovered approximately 20 minutes into my ownership of the car. :eek:

Was lucky enough to find a place that could patch it up on a Saturday so I could make the 10 hour drive home.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
which I discovered approximately 20 minutes into my ownership of the car. :eek:
That sounds like the previous owner stickin' it to ya. 20 days, maybe not. 20 minutes, hell yes.

Al

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info Grog6 and quickford. I unbolted the master cylinder and don't see any sign of leaking behind it into the booster, it's all nice and dry. Can't find any fluid leaks anywhere, is it possible one of the edges of the seals in the master cylinder flipped over not allowing pressure to increase? It was a rebuilt unit and the brakes have been working fine since. I may just put a new master cylinder on.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
What about the combination valves over by the battery? Any leaks there?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had that pulling to one side during sudden stopping (front left locked) when I first got my '97 Cougar. I don't remember the pedal falling to the floor however. My flexible brake lines were the culprit. Collapsing internally.

·
Super Moderator
7,489 Posts
Brake leaks don't fix themselves, so this may be something else. What year is this car? Does it have ABS? Disc or drum rear brakes? Before this happened had you just done a heavy stop from high speed?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a 1997 without ABS, 4 wheel disc. I replaced the master cylinder with a brand new one, rebuilt the control valves, bled the system and that fixed it. The other master cylinder was less then a year old but a refurbished unit I got off eBay. When I took it out it felt like the edge of the seals were flipping over or damaged. Brakes work great now and feel better then they have in a long time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts