TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. So a couple days ago my passenger rear brake line broke and I lost all braking. Isn't there supposed to be some sort of braking? I mean shouldn't have I had brakes on two of the other wheels? When it went (the line) the pedal went to the floor and that was that.

Is this just the way they were designed or is there something I need to do so I can at least have partial braking if another line breaks.

This is on a '97 T-Bird.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,574 Posts
Yeah, I was under the impression that there were two separate circuits. One linking LR/RF and the other RR/LF. Does the car have ABS? I am not sure if that throws that off...

·
Super Moderator
8,080 Posts
When a line breaks, the pedal does drop, but since you are here to talk about it, I’m betting you did still have some braking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was under the impression too that there were two circuits too and if there was a failure you'd still have something else to stop you.

No there was absolutely no braking, held it to the floor and it kept on going until I popped it into neutral and stood on the parking brake. Thankfully I was just pulling out of a parking lot and didn't have any speed built up.

I'm just curious if there is something I need to repair that would make it work as it should. At least in my mind if there is a failure on one line there should still be some sort of breaking.

Thanks for the responses guys.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Did you try pumping the brake pedal? When a rear line blew on the back of my Toyota, pumping it gave me some brake force. It would also lose all the fluid out of the master quickly that way, but at least it would slow down once or twice.

·
Super Moderator
8,080 Posts
There are 2 circuits. It is possible that you blew 2 lines simultaneously.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No it wouldn't pump up. It just emptied fluid from the break in the line.

No only one line broke. I put a new line on it and the brakes are back to normal. Just a little concerned if another line breaks that's all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts