TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure how to explain this, but when I'm braking at low speed the brakes seem to grind a little bit, or something like grinding, more of a general roughness.

It doesn't seem to happen all the time, and I can only notice it when I'm around 10-15kph stopping. It doesn't happen when slowing down from driving speeds, and my brakes were recently replaced, about 2 months ago, with Satisfied VS ceramic pads.

any idea what might cause this? my end-links need replacing, don't know if it's important but I thought I would mention it.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
they only seem to do this when the car has been parked for more than 5 mins. when I get back in and drive away and brake for the first time at low speed it grinds and is rough, after that it seems fine.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
maybe one of your calipers is dragging.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Did you replace your rotors as well? If not, they could be junk. New pads on old rotors don't always seat too well.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rear brakes were totally done, clipers, rotors, pads..... front brakes just got pads, and I haven't noticed this problem until recently, like the last week or so.

They also squeak on the first brake of the day, or after sitting. I pull out of my parking spot, and slow down to turn a corner out of the parking lot, and I hear them squeak. by the time i'm out of the lot they appear to be done squeaking.

·
Super Moderator
10,410 Posts
Did you replace your rotors as well? If not, they could be junk. New pads on old rotors don't always seat too well.
Ceramic pads wear the rotors pretty good, so that shouldn't be a problem as long as the rotors aren't warped.

My only issue with the ceramics is the fact that they don't work great when cold; rush hour traffic is great, but late night deer calls are a drag. :D

If it's really humid outside, rotors can rust in an hour and make noise; otherwise, it's probably a caliper not retracting properly making noise. (they move back in a small amount, ~.010" or less, by design)

·
Super Moderator
9,187 Posts
Mine was doing this too late last year, but my problem turned out to be a rusted pin on the left rear caliper.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so i've been paying a lot of attention to this recently, and it is happening all the time. any low speed braking I can hear a grinding like noise, and squeaks, not loud ones, but there is squeaking.

at this point i'm not sure if it's the front or rear, but I'm also hearing kind of a clanging noise when I left off the brakes, like when I pull out of a parking spot.
I hear the same type of clang when the car is jacked up and i hit my wobbley front wheel.

I don't know what the hell is going on, but it's got me concerned cause i don't like having issues with parts of my car that could be potentially fatal in one form or another.

I don't know how to figure out what the problem is or where it's coming from.

·
Super Moderator
10,410 Posts
I hear the same type of clang when the car is jacked up and i hit my wobbley front wheel.
WTF?

There's nothing good that will make a wheel wobble; Maybe this is related?

:confused:

There is no way I'd drive a car anywhere if the wheel is wobbling... I'd find that first.

If the knuckle stands still, and the wheel will wobble on the axle, it's probably the wheel bearing. That will cause all the problems you describe; that grinding noise is the brake disk holding the wheel on.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WTF?

There's nothing good that will make a wheel wobble; Maybe this is related?

:confused:

There is no way I'd drive a car anywhere if the wheel is wobbling... I'd find that first.

If the knuckle stands still, and the wheel will wobble on the axle, it's probably the wheel bearing. That will cause all the problems you describe; that grinding noise is the brake disk holding the wheel on.
don't think I'm just brushing it off as no big deal, and yes I'm almost certain it's related to at least one of the problems I'm having with my suspension/brakes....and I pray that wheel holds everyday I drive it.....

the wheel wobbles about 1/4" maybe less. This is grabbing the top and bottom of the wheel and rocking it.

I have looked behind the wheel to see what's moving, but I don't really see anything move when the wheel is rocked. I don't see ball joints, or end links move when the wheel is rocking, but I hear a lot of knocking when driving over bumps, and it sounds like it is more than just the wheel itself..... like it isn't localized to one side of the car, and more or less sounds like it's coming from both front and back of the vehicle.

I don't have a lot of money and have been trying to fix other things and pay bills so I can't really just start throwing parts at the car and hoping it fixes the problem, but I also can't figure out exactly what/where the problem is.

·
Super Moderator
9,187 Posts
Take off the tire, caliper, and rotor. Then try rocking the wheel hub itself. If it rocks, your bearing is toast. A replacement Timken (same as OE brand) cost me $70 to my door. Replacement took me under 30 minutes, tire off to tire on. You'll need a 36mm socket.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I would do yourself a favor as well as everyone else on the road and get that looked at. Throwing parts at a problem is never the way to fix anything. If you don't have the knowledge to diagnose it on your own bring it somewhere. Some small places will look at it for free. A good front end guy will be able to look at it for a minute before telling you the problem 99% of the time.

I know what it's like to be tight on money, it sucks, but it is no excuse to be driving a potentially dangerous automobile. Vehicle maintenance is a responsibility a lot of people don't take seriously. There are way too many hazardous vehicles out there on the verge of taking out other cars/pedestrians/poles, etc. If some guy hit me and totalled my car out/hurt one of my family members because he ignored a ball joint noise for too long I would choke him out right on the street.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would do yourself a favor as well as everyone else on the road and get that looked at. Throwing parts at a problem is never the way to fix anything. If you don't have the knowledge to diagnose it on your own bring it somewhere. Some small places will look at it for free. A good front end guy will be able to look at it for a minute before telling you the problem 99% of the time.

I know what it's like to be tight on money, it sucks, but it is no excuse to be driving a potentially dangerous automobile. Vehicle maintenance is a responsibility a lot of people don't take seriously. There are way too many hazardous vehicles out there on the verge of taking out other cars/pedestrians/poles, etc. If some guy hit me and totalled my car out/hurt one of my family members because he ignored a ball joint noise for too long I would choke him out right on the street.
I couldn't agree more, and I take maintenance seriously, this is after all the only car I will ever own for quite some time, if it gets wrecked there is no car after that.

One other thing I'm noticing, and have been seeing for a while(though not as pronounced) is the sterring wheel turns to the right about 1/4" when I brake.

I was actually stopping today and it pulled to the right so I let off the brake and went veering to the left when the wheel returned..... not a huge veer, but this is all stuff that concerns the hell out of me.

Living in an apartment makes it hard to get some things done on my own.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so I've replaced my front rotors, hubs, and right side LCA/UCA. the brake pads are relatively new so I reused them.

Now When I'm stopping i'm still getting the same roughness.....it almost sounds a little bit "crunchy" so to speak and it seems to be coming from the back.

The back brakes were totally done a couple of months ago, new rotors, pads, calipers and everything still looks good.

I can't figure out why there is this noise, with the odd squeak or squeal every now and then, I'm going to see if I can pop the rear rotors off today and take a look at them, but from looking at the visible side, they appear to be in great shape.

maybe I got a rock or something mashed in between the pads???

·
Super Moderator
10,410 Posts
it almost sounds a little bit "crunchy" so to speak and it seems to be coming from the back.

with the odd squeak or squeal every now and then, I'm going to see if I can pop the rear rotors off today and take a look at them?
I'm guessing these weren't the wheel bearings you replaced?

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no t he fronts are the ones I've replaced, rotors and all, they are dead silent now, and all the front grinding/roughness has stopped..... those old rotors were in BAD shape though, and cracked.

Now I'm just left with ther back making noise, which it shouldn't be doing because the beack brakes were totally redone only a couple of months ago, but have made this noise ever since they were fixed.

I checked the right side yesterday, gonna go in and check the left side today, I think it's where the noise is coming from.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well after looking at both back brakes, there appears to be NOTHING wrong with them in anyway shape or form.

the rotors are in excellent shape (as expected for something thats only like 3 or 4 months old) the pads are fine, nothing stuck in them, worn evenly.

I may have lessened the noise when I "unglued" my brake pads from the calipers. The shop that did it had stuck the pads to the calipers by way of red silicone or something, so the pads would stay in the caliper as they set it back (still doing it the old school way, they think the pads are supposed to sit in the caliper, apparently they didn't know to put the pads in the frame, and set the caliper down on top.)

I can still hear them rubbing, but I don't THINK it has the same roughness anymore....I'm fairly certain I shouldn't hear my brakes stopping at all.

Anyway, after I get it out on the road today I will know for sure, shes cold now, and the brakes behave differently when they are hot.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so this is really pissing me off now. My brakes have been all but totally redone, new rotors, pads, new calipers on the back, and still it's making this noise.

I've visually inspected the brake system and NOTHING appears as if it should be making this noise. everything is in great shape, everything is working (as far as I can tell) everything is in great shape.

the best I can confirm is that it is the back brakes, because I've done some stopping using my parking brake, and while the noise isn't as noticeable it is still there. I'm guessing it's just not as loud because the parking brake doesn't apply as much pressure as the hydraulic brakes, but it's there.

does ANYONE have ANY idea what the hell this noise is? I'm using raybestos ceramic pads on the back....nascar grade or some crap.

I'm fairly certain my brakes shouldn't be making such a noise.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts