TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a problem with the brakes on the 94-95 cougar/t-bird making a chirping sound while you are driving. I have cleaned and greased all friction points, turned the rotors and have tried 2 kinds of pads only to have the noise comeback.
My car is a 95 Cougar XR-7 with the 4.6L and 4 wheel disc brakes with ABS. On a side note I just installed a FLO-PRO muffler in place of the stock resonator and replaced the factory mufflers with polished tips. Sounds GREAT!!!!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Yep - I got that, and I'm pretty sure that I know what it is:

Either the pads aren't siliconed at the back, so they'll stick to the calipers when the presure is released, or the edges aren't champhered (45 degree angle all around), and the square edges can cause a squeel.

Could also be cause by a warped rotor that hits the pad only on a certain span of the circumferance of that particular rotor.

How did I solve my problems? Turn up the volume :D!

BTW - cool handle, I should have grabed that when I had the chance ;). And welcome to TCCOA :).

Kevin.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both front rotors are doing it. The pads have a steel shim that i transfered from the old ones because they had 2 little pins for them to rest on. What exactly is supposewd to make the shoes return and back away from the rotor?

·
Registered
803 Posts
You need the brake anti-squeal goop on the back of the pads to glue them to the caliper. That is what pulls them back from the rotor. Warped rotors will make it more noticable as previously stated by merccougarxr7.
I also noticed that my ceramic pads did it more than the semimetallic ones.

·
Registered
130 Posts
squeak squeak

calipers might als onot retract well, as it did on mine, when the brake line partially collapses.

When the OE rotors finally gave up the ghost (more preceisely, whe I got sick of the warpage and pulsating pedal), I went to KVR rotors/caipers/pads. When installing them my buddy insisted that I plumb in new brake hoses because of the OE being prone to partial collapse.

It added a few more dollars and hours to the job, but I'm pleased with the end result!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts