TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering when you do a HG job....is there any kind of break in period where you shouldn't go above a certain speed (like 60MPH) until you drive the car a certain amount of mileage (Like 500 miles)????............The mechanic never told me anything like that

The first day i got it back i wanted to test it out a little, but i didn't want to beat on it so i did about 80 MPH for about 2 minutes....then i did 80MPH going up a huge hill on the Highway.

Thanks
BeirutsFinest

·
Registered
607 Posts
Don't push the car for 500-1000 miles. Try not to rev the engine above 3500, or even 3000 if you can help it. I wouldn't do anyting above 65mph. No quick 100mph trips down the parkway!

Jim

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did I

Do you think I hurt anything by doing 80mph up a highway Hill...and 80mph for about 2 minutes on the highway straight away????

Thanks
BeirutsFinest

·
Registered
801 Posts
oh man, when i got my car after my headgasket job, i went really hard on her, but the car runs awsome, so im not worried, unless on the long run i messe anything up for not taking it easy with her.

Marvin M.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Definately no

I would say no, if the work is done well and it is sealed up like it should be nothing adverse could come of it, if the work is done shabbily or something wasnt found like a crack its gonna leak, if the motor is bad its gonna blow, sooner or later, probably sooner, the gaskets need no retorquing, just like factory, and even the dealer says no break in period required on new cars

Fire it up and drive it like you stole it

·
Registered
607 Posts
I would sugjust that you take it easy on the car. I replaced the gaskets on my car and was hard on it right away. I soon found myself (50 miles later) on the side of RT 80 with a spun bearing. It probably inevitable, but there is piece of mind that it may prevent future problems.

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts