TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When's somebody gonna break the mold and create a "DriftBird?" Would be a cool idea since most tbirds drag and auto-x =]

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
So its been around for a few years but the judging of it is purely subjective and opinion. Its not like timeclocks which do not lie and are not biased (as long as they're cal'd properly and regularly).

Drifting has been addressed here a few times and the majority is against it, the cards are stacked against the MN12 for something like that. Stacked more in that field than in any other basically.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Probably because the MN12 chassis was designed to actually grip the road, and handle. Not slide across it sideways.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
240sx, silvia, 180sx, trueno, gto, viper, mustang, rx-7, s2000, skyline, they were all designed to hug the road as well. drifting its probably not classified under racing but motorsports yes. i dont see why a mn12 couldnt drift its all in driver skill and how he can handle the car. lowering it, lock the rear end, give the wheels some camber, and fab a hand brake thats the basics.

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
DeeDeeArrGuy said:
240sx, silvia, 180sx, trueno, gto, viper, mustang, rx-7, s2000, skyline, they were all designed to hug the road as well. drifting its probably not classified under racing but motorsports yes. i dont see why a mn12 couldnt drift its all in driver skill and how he can handle the car. lowering it, lock the rear end, give the wheels some camber, and fab a hand brake thats the basics.
Also some hard tires, and POWER!

Motorsports, yes!

Racing, no!

M .02!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it can be done put it that way, but i dont think a lot of mn12 owners would be dedicated to drifting since most of them either drag do auto cross or show cars

·
Registered
635 Posts
I think you should do that to your thunderbird so we can see how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The Thunderbird has a few things against it as a drifter. First, it's just so heavy. Even in stripped form, when the car starts sliding, it wants to keep sliding, so changes in direction would not be as quick as lighter cars. Even stripped, a Thunderbird is 1,000 pounds heavier than many drift race cars. The wheelbase is fairly long, which would pose a challenge on some tracks. A manual transmission is a must, so that rules out all V8 models unless you also want to perform that swap. I'm not sure you could get much more steering angle out of these cars, and that's a crucial factor in drifting. Something like a Supra can damn near turn its wheels 90 degrees to the body with proper modifications. Power, of course, is available, but it costs money. Hard tires aren't the way to go, either. I've talked to many of the pro drivers, and they say that a performance tire is better because it provides more "feel" than a hard tire--you just need more power to spin them. So why won't anyone prep a Tbird for serious drift competition?

1. Our cars are porkers.
2. Other cars are better with fewer modifications.
3. Most Tbird drivers don't even like drifting. I do, but most don't.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
DeeDeeArrGuy said:
and fab a hand brake thats the basics.
Why fabricate when factory is available. Ever seen inside a super coupe?

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
i hate to burst your bubble i drifted mine around a lite pole at votech school and have it on vhs to prove it. It just takes practice and suspension stiffing.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Okay, but can you drift it around two complete oval turns at Irwindale Speedway at 100 MPH, then flick the car left and right while still drifting? Drift racing is a lot more than circles.

Look, I'm not saying it's impossible, just that the T-Bird is far from the ideal platform for the job.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I think that drifting could be done in most any car that is rear-wheel. The t-bird is just as fine a platform as any other.

Why?
Drifting is not racing, Drifting is art.
Drifting is subjective, it's not who has the fastest time...
it's who looks the best on the track.
Drifting is the art of being in complete control but looking the complete opposite to bystandards.

Our cars, and a skilled driver, will look just fine out there.

·
Registered
817 Posts
dude our birds love to drift. i used to do a nice little S drift when it was nice and wet, cause once you got one way, and recorrected and throttled and got it the other way, the body roll and weight transfer would just keep the momentum going. i used to swing that *** out a good 45* and bring it back around for antoher 45* the opposite way, before i got scurred and stopped. that was on stock suspension and a civic hacked intake tube/cai.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Welll to tell ya the truth i think these cars drift very well, i do a little in some nice open parking lots once and a while they can hold it nice and stable, i think if you get some Koni shocks, put them on the most firm. you got a nice drift machine good to go

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
97mn-12 said:
I think you should do that to your thunderbird so we can see how it turns out.
i was going to next week january 21st at orlando speed world at the drift practice florida drift is holding but the rpe-registration spots are all taken up. if im lucky tho im hoping for a no show so i can take his/her spot. im gonna go and watch at least if i cant get a spot. they are hosting another drift practice february 26th that im gonna register for earlier and by then ill hope to have my trac loc rear.

I think that drifting could be done in most any car that is rear-wheel. The t-bird is just as fine a platform as any other.

95_SilverBird said:
Why?
Drifting is not racing, Drifting is art.
Drifting is subjective, it's not who has the fastest time...
it's who looks the best on the track.
Drifting is the art of being in complete control but looking the complete opposite to bystandards.

Our cars, and a skilled driver, will look just fine out there.
very well said my friend

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
lol It must have begun in Hollywood or Beverly Hills then. "Its not who is the best at something, its who looks best doing it!" Who cares if she can act/sing or not, she looks hot doing it! :D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts