TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been looking around for breather filters for my 'bird, what all are you guys running? All I can find in at Advance Auto and Auto Zone wont work for me. I'm also not running PCV anymore either.

Let me know what you guys have,

Thanks for the help,

Brandon

·
Registered
367 Posts
are u talking u wanna breather filter in place of ur oil fill area.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
If you are not running a pvc system, then just connect a hose to an open crankcase port and aim it at the ground. without PCV it wont be drawing any air in. If you just put a breather under the hood you will end up with oil everywhere.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I'm looking for one to go next to the filler cap. There's a hose that comes off of the valve cover, and into the intake. I also want to run one where the PCV valve currently is.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are not running a pvc system, then just connect a hose to an open crankcase port and aim it at the ground. without PCV it wont be drawing any air in. If you just put a breather under the hood you will end up with oil everywhere.
We were typing at the same time LOL. Good idea with the hose, but I'm going to run a filter either way (if I run a hose, I'll put it at the end), expecially with my conditions.

Thanks for the idea,

Brandon

·
Super Moderator
10,319 Posts
Oil separator?

Has anyone made a oil separator that will prevent the oil that comes thru the PCV circuit from getting into the intake?

Every one of these engines' intakes that I've seen inside of was full of oil... :(

Does it matter? I would think it has to have an effect; I believe that was why the IMRCs on the engine I have were stuck....

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Has anyone made a oil separator that will prevent the oil that comes thru the PCV circuit from getting into the intake?

Every one of these engines' intakes that I've seen inside of was full of oil... :(

Does it matter? I would think it has to have an effect; I believe that was why the IMRCs on the engine I have were stuck....
It's not just these engines. It's every single Tuned port injection engine with a PCV system.

The only thing you can really do is clean it out at like every tuneup or sooner.

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
I've been running one of those $30 ones that you see on ebay all of the time on my XR7. It seems to be working well.

-Rod

·
Super Moderator
7,479 Posts
Why did you delete the PCV? It's not like it robs any power or anything, and its a relatively simple system so you aren't really going to clean anything up by deleting it. I would say just leave the PCV system alone.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just want to simplify my car as much as I can, that way when something goes wrong at the track, hopefully, its easier to fix. Now there is only 2 vac lines running in the car, one for the booster and one for the fuel pressure regulator. I wasnt really trying to gain anything except simplicity.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I just want to simplify my car as much as I can, that way when something goes wrong at the track, hopefully, its easier to fix. Now there is only 2 vac lines running in the car, one for the booster and one for the fuel pressure regulator. I wasnt really trying to gain anything except simplicity.
deleting the PCV actually complicates the system, Unless you are running a crankcase scavenger system you will most likely start leaking oil out of every possible area.

There are other performance reasons also, but I don't remember enough of it to try to explain it.

When this crap was being explained to me like maybe 15 years ago, on the outside I was like " yeah that's cool" and on the inside I'm saying "just slap it together and drive it".

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ClintD, Thanks for the info, I'll have to look this stuff up. I just figured if I put filters on there and let the engine breathe I would be OK, but apparently not.

Thanks again, and I'll see what I come up with,

Brandon

·
Super Moderator
7,479 Posts
The other performance benefits clint is talking about are only at part throttle. When there is some vacuum in the intake, that vacuum gets transferred to the crankcase, which helps pull the pistons down in the bore, thereby slightly increasing power. It's basically the same advantage that a dry sump system gives you, only not as much, and only at part throttle since at WOT there is no vacuum in the intake to transfer to the crankcase. On a race car, you are probably only full on the gas, or completely off, so it wouldn't make much of a difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts