TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I actually joined this forum a long time back. Think my last login was 2007!!! :rolleyes:

I joined because I'm a fan of the MN12 T-Birds. I didn't buy one (got an LS1 z28 instead :eek: )

But recently I've found an 86 T-Bird for sale. Now go gentle with me, I'm in England (UK) so these are very rare here, and I don't know much about them.

This ones going to be a project car, as sadly someone has taken the engine and gearbox out (5.0 and a AOD I think).

But I could do with some info on how to find parts for them. The 86 is on a Foxbody platform isn't it?? If so how similar is it to a Mustang? Can I buy most parts for the Mustang and they'll fit?

Also what's the score with upgrading things like shocks/brakes and things?

Cheers guys :)

·
Administrator
8,105 Posts
Welcome back! :)

I'm no expert on the Foxbody chassis, but as far as I know you can use quite a few Mustang parts on it. I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people here that will chime in.

Joe

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Move post

Hi

Move this post to Turbo Coupes. Your chassis.

Most of the engine stuff will work from a Pony.
Some of the suspension is slightly different.

My 85 has the Quad shock rear axle. thou it is only a 7.5.
has a 3.45tl rear gear. The 86 V8 car might have a 8.8 rear.?

;)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Welcome back man, the engine and trans should work, but I dont know about the suspension so much. Hopefully there are guys on that know more than me. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi, I like the way British people talk. Now that that is out of the way, the 86 Tbird/Cougar is built on the Fox body platform and most Mustang parts will fit with a few exceptions. If the car was originally a 5.0/AOD car it would have came with a 7.5 rear and either 2.73s or 3.08s.

I agree that you will find most everything you will ever want to know about these cars at http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/ and also check out http://www.coolcats.net/

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts
OK, as far as fox mustang parts that you can use
-Engine and all front accessories are interchangable
-Trans (either AOD or T5 if you want to convert it to a 5-speed)
-If converting to a 5-speed, mustang clutch and brake pedals bolt right in
-Exhaust (H-pipe and tips just need to be lengthened a bit for the bird)
-Shocks/Struts are interchangable
-Springs (but get heavier aftermarket ones instead of stock mustang ones)
-Brakes (4-lug only. 5-lug conversion gets complicated, see below)
-Only car that has a bolt-in 8.8 rear diff is the 87/88 Cougar XR7. Even the V8 cougar LS and tbirds of those years only got the 7.5. The rear diff from a 94-04 is the right width as the fox body bird, and is an 8.8 instead of a 7.5, but you will have custom axles made, or convert to 5-lug wheels, but then you have to change your front spindles because the shaft is a different diameter, and then you run into issues because the front control arms for the bird are longer than for a mustang, and the ball joint has a different taper, so you can't use the 4-lug control arms in the 5-lug spindles, and the only control arms that are the right lenght and have the right taper are for the MarkVII, but they don't have a spring perch because they used air ride, so that leaves you either modifying the ball joints, or the spindle, or the control arm.
-If modifying the engine, get an A9P or A9L mustang ECM and the mass-air conversion harness, or you could just cut the MAF connector off any ford in the junkyard and extend the wires yourself, since those conversion harnesses are probably not so readily available to you.

Parts that definitely will not fit
-No body or interior panels interchange
-Driveshaft is a different length
-K-member is different, as are the motor mounts
-Fuel tank is different
-Fuel level sending unit is different, and within the fox birds they are different depending on whether it is an analog dash or digital, and both of them are nearly impossible to get in the US, so in the UK it would probably be impossible to get a replacement if it goes bad.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The 87/88 Turbo Coupes came equipped with 8.8 limited slip rear ends as well, so that would be a bolt in application for you I think. 83-86 TC's had 7.5 with limited slip.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
The 87/88 Turbo Coupes came equipped with 8.8 limited slip rear ends as well, so that would be a bolt in application for you I think. 83-86 TC's had 7.5 with limited slip.
If it's any help, I just pulled my 8.8 traction lok rear end chunk out of an '88 Thunderbird 5.0L HO car (it was NOT a Turbo Coupe).

·
Registered
89 Posts
The 87/88 Turbocoupe rear end will physically bolt in but some plumbing will need to be done to retain the disc brakes. Auto cars have 3.73s and stick cars have 3.55s.

Some 88 Thunderbirds and Cougar (Sports and Xr7s) did have 8.8s with traction lok diffs with drums , although no fox cougar/tbird came with a HO engine from the factory.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
The 87/88 Turbocoupe rear end will physically bolt in but some plumbing will need to be done to retain the disc brakes. Auto cars have 3.73s and stick cars have 3.55s.

Some 88 Thunderbirds and Cougar (Sports and Xr7s) did have 8.8s with traction lok diffs with drums , although no fox cougar/tbird came with a HO engine from the factory.
Well, I think this motor came in the car cause it was an old ladys 88 'Bird with only 78,000 miles on it, but you never know - could've been changed. It was a 5.0 HO (said so right on the plenum), we hauled it to the scrap yard for weight because it had an interior fire and was pretty much destroyed. One guy wanted the engine, but he offered me $40 to pull it (I said no thanks...lol). The rear gear in it had a code of M, and when I crawled under it, had a 3.27 TL rear chuck which I pulled out. I'm just telling you what I saw & did day before yesterday. I did notice the rims were the same as the Mustang GT 87-90 4 bolt and it had drum brakes on the rear, also.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Duh, but were talking about Fox's (80-88)
Gotcha.....

I was actually surprised to find a trac-lok in a non super-coupe too, but the door sticker did say axle code M which is a locker and the tag on the rear end said 3.27L, so it's mine rather than recycled metal.....

·
Registered
89 Posts
You could get a HO 5.0 from 91-93 in the Cougars and Thunderbirds, but those are MN12 cars, not Fox body.

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts
Not exactly. The motor will bolt in, but there are many differences such as the accessory drive, wiring, distributor, intake manifold, EGR setup, etc that make it more difficult to swap an MN12 motor into a fox body. It definitely can be done, but having a fox body car as a donor makes it a lot easier.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts