TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it is what title said. Any solutions to this joyous problem? Was taking sensor out when all went loose and i brought wrench down with head of bolt on it. I seem to have this problem pretty often. Snapped all bolts holding exhaust on but that wasnt too bad a problem as i just took my torch and blew holes out and popped some new bolts in. Is that my only viable option here with the terrible position it is in?

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
EZ-out bit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my first thought but no possible way i can get a drill in there or even my dremel to drill or extract it out.

·
Super Moderator
10,663 Posts
That was my first thought but no possible way i can get a drill in there or even my dremel to drill or extract it out.
You're f'ed. :)

You can buy or borrow a right angle drill to drill it out, or JB weld it in place, and be constantly stranded somewhere until you dink with it.
I'd drill it out, personally.

If you're breaking off bolts on a Texas car, I'd worry about my technique; Pittsburg PA has salt issues, but Texas can't be worse than here... :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess im f'ed because my right angle drill attachment cant get in there either. Was thinking about putting a heavy duty hose clamp to hold itin there. Has the perfect tab sticking out if that would work. We have really high humidity here and being parked in my pasture doesnt help either, not sure its my technique because it didnt take much and it snapped off.

·
The Parts Guy
7,326 Posts
Get the coil/ps reservoir bracket out of the way. It isn't that difficult to get to this bolt.

If you're breaking off bolts on a Texas car, I'd worry about my technique; Pittsburg PA has salt issues, but Texas can't be worse than here... :)
You'd be surprised. A rig just arrived at work the other day that looked like it had spent the last fifty years here in the rust belt. Turns out it had only seen fifteen years of duty in Corpus Christi, TX. The salt in the air from the gulf absolutely decimated it. That being said, Pittsburg, TX, is a good 250+ miles from the gulf.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My other option i was thinking about is taking a stud ans tacking it on there and just thread a nut onto that. Would probably work better but be a pita sticking a rod down in there to do it with

·
The Parts Guy
7,326 Posts
Did the bolt break off in the hole, or is any of it sticking proud of the timing cover?

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
That's the crank sensor not cam sensor makes more sense.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Crank is behind power steering reservoir i thought. Nevermind got confused after looking again. Either way i have a broken bolt off in there...

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Time to remove the timing cover.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Think i will try tacking a small threaded stud onto bolt stuck in there first then just use a nut that threads onto it first. If not hooking this pos up to my tractor and yanking it into my pasture for some rock climbing practice like the way my old altima went with my four wheeler lol. Too many other vehichles at my house to have this thing taking up space in shop or under carport. Need to get headers and exhaust put on my Z.

·
Super Moderator
10,663 Posts
The salt in the air from the gulf absolutely decimated it.
I forget about saltwater; it eats anything.

I was able to wrench out the exhaust bolts on both engines I've done here...

IIRC, the cam sensor is bolted into the front cover; Worst case, you can yank that in the car, then work on it on the bench.

·
The Parts Guy
7,326 Posts
So are we talking about the crank or cam sensor now? The cam sensor is behind the coil pack/ps reservoir bracket, the crank sensor is behind the AC compressor. Both are on the front timing cover.

If the bolt is sticking proud of the timing cover surface, you may be able to tack a nut to it and back it out. If all else fails, you can always just replace the timing cover.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I'd pull the timing cover off and try to get the bolt out. That way it is a lot easier to work with instead of trying to do it in that cramped space. No reason to replace the timing cover if the rest of the bolt can be extracted.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
http://imgur.com/8KC56sW

Here is my fix I decided this was the easiest way to start with. Its on there tight as a drum and still cranks up so I guess this will work until I ever decide to take timing cover off.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Lol that's awesome. Way to use that Texas ingenuity! Yes that is the crankshaft position sensor (ckp)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Haha thanks, replaced both crank and cam sensor hoping that might fix my other problems im having in my other thread but sadly not the case. Guess I get to do hours and hours of more searching while waiting on ecm to arrive. Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts