TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving to my friends house the other day my car began to act strange. The first thing i noticed was the dash was not as bright as it usually is. I remember thinking this but not thinking anything of it. While driving my music suddenly turned off. I was getting static through the speakers when the unit shut off and quickly turned back on and began to play. I then looked at my volts and realized they were almost in the red area. I continued driving with only my parking lights and made it to my friends house. At his house while parking i tried to turn my lights on and my car almost stalled. The next day I started it to find the power back to normal. While driving home the volts slowly decreased. Is this a breaking alternator, is an alternator hard to replace? My experience with cars is limited and am planning to attempt to replace it myself. Thanks for the help everyone.
Will

·
8,239 Posts
the alternator is two bolts on this car. Its a 10 minute job.

Unplug your battery before you do it.

I would get the battery and the alternator load tested before I bought anything though.

Also check your grounds.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Will3799 said:
Is this a breaking alternator... My experience with cars is limited ...
Will
Breaking alternator. :) Sorry, just thought it sounded funny.

Replacing an alternator isn't that bad at all - If it's your first time, it wouldn't hurt to go grab a Hayne's Manual for your car from AutoZone. They're only like $12 or something. Good luck. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts