TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my passenger side lower ball joint snapped a week or so ago and after getting the parts and sending them back cause the boots were fubar, I finally got them and started replacing.
Question is, on the lower ball joint I got the nut off but the rest of the ball joint wont come out, Ive been out there beating on it for the past 35 mins. Is there any tips or info on how to get the rest of this thing out? Any infos appreciated.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that but the ball joint snapped right about the top of the control arm, so the place where the balljoint goes in the control arm is practically flat, lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
Air chisel with the hammer insert, up the bottom.

or if it's broken off flush, spread the knuckle some and drive the remains down.

RwP

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input but no air chisel. Im gonna hit it with the blow torch and let it cool down a bunch tomorrow and hope that it breaks it loose enough to knock it out.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Noted. thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
So my passenger side lower ball joint snapped a week or so ago and after getting the parts and sending them back cause the boots were fubar, I finally got them and started replacing.
Question is, on the lower ball joint I got the nut off but the rest of the ball joint wont come out, Ive been out there beating on it for the past 35 mins. Is there any tips or info on how to get the rest of this thing out? Any infos appreciated.
Are you saying the threaded part is still stuck in the steering knuckle?

A two jaw puller will pop that out fairly easily; load it up with the puller, and tap the bottom with a hammer... it will come shooting out at some point, so don't be under it, right? :)

Or, If you're talking about the ball joint:

I've never replaced just a ball joint on the lower control arm; buy the whole arm, and get new bushings with it. There are presses to replace just the joint, but since the ball joint is ~$10 less than the whole arm on Rockauto, why do that?

Also, don't use heat on suspension parts you plan to re-use; you'll regret it. :) Best case, that can lead to the never-ending-slightly-off-alignment issue, lol. (It will bend every time you hit a big bump. Sometimes in different directions, depending...)

Advanced will rent tools (here, anyway); they have a puller kit, as well as the ball joint kit, if you're determined.

Good luck, and use of a hammer is required, lol.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Are you saying the threaded part is still stuck in the steering knuckle?

Yes lol. I do have a couple of pullers laying around I didnt even think of that. I tried a BF c-clamp but couldnt get it to sit right, Im probably going to try the puller first tomorrow. I didnt even think of that but I have a pretty good feeling that will work, lol.

Forgot to say, I am replacing both upper and lower control arms on both sides.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
A pitman arm puller will also probably work. You need to bang it good with a Big Hammer first.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The puller worked great, made me jump a little when it finally broke loose lol. Now I just cant get the lower shock bolt out :facepalm: I jacekd the control arm up a little and put the puller on the left side trying to force it out but it just bent the shock mount a little bit, and if I get on it the other side with a ratchet the whole shock and spring twists. So Im done for today lol Im gonna read around here and try to figure something out for tomorrrow, it would be a lot easier if my parents didnt bring all the tools with them to wisconsin. :bangwall:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After some searching I see that lots of people have a pretty bad time with that bolt too. I was gonna go fart around with it some more but it just started raining so Im done for sure today. When I get out there tomorrow Ill try smacking it with the deep well on there like you said and over tightening the bolt to try and break it loose.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input. Once my paretns got home the other day, me and my dad knocked it all out in a couple hours.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts